Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Sim3D II Discussion & Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Steel
PoC Frequent Visitor
Platinum Licensee
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Controls Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a handicaped user (I only have one arm).. and only use the mouse to play.. I recently tried to play the Sim3dII and it brought up my joystick as the controller.. is there any way to change it to use mouse.. as my joystick is broken
Olle P
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the above question should be answered. If nothing else so at least for courtesy.

Furthermore...
I've just tried the demo, and find the controls slightly annoying.

1) I use the keyboard, as I'm used to from XXL, and get annoyed by the switch in controls for fore and aft thrusters.
In the display the indicator for the fore thrusters are shown above the aft.
On the keyboard the shift key is above the Ctrl key, and thus it makes perfect sense to use shift for the fore thrusters and ctrl for the aft thrusters, as is done in XXL. In 3D these controls are reversed, which makes driving a bit confusing.

2) IRL, manoeuvring in difficult waters is never done at full speed, but typically <10kts.
Still, in POC the throttle is fully linear with only relatively few steps (at least when using the keyboard), making low speed control very difficult for fast ships.
The Ecranoplan is obviously worst in the bunch, since each throttle step represents more than 10 kts speed difference. (With the throttle at "slow" it goes ~100 kts!)
For this type of manoeuvring I'd prefer having the throttle either exponential or at least dual linear, with a setting of 0-80% representing 0-10 kts, and 80-100% representing 10kts - maximum speed.

Cheers
Olle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Sim3D II Discussion & Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: