Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for new ships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL User Made Ports, Goods, Vessels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St.Paddy
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Request for new ships Reply with quote

Hi Shipbuilders....

How about (if you have the time - and the inclination) some of the Shuttle Tankers that are transporting oil around Europe - the Navion XXX's and the YYY Knutsens?

Also, I would also like to have some of the newer, smaller coasters (c.3000t DWT) that ply their trade around Europe.

How about it?

Tim
Sparky
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

are you really sure you can make profit with these small vessels. Cargo among ports of the same continent is offered very seldom. I believe that is a quirk of of the game, perhaps not wanted (why ?) by the creators.

I have tried with small ships before, but finally had to run them on long distance trade because of absence of cargo on short distances, and that didn't pay off.

Sparky
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will become interssting with the upcoming smallwater version if poc.
corne_mo
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearsie made a coaster game himself with his own ports and ships. He has modified all ports, goods and ships to make it work though. Maybe you can contact him.
StickyMonk
PoC Veteran
Special Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Special Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be uploading several of the Navion and Knutsen ships later tonight.

for my ships,cargo and harbors don't visit my web site as they are not there anymore
St.Paddy
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are you really sure you can make profit with these small vessels.

Well, to be honest, I would like to make the game as difficult as possible for me!! I have also developed an interest in coastal shipping which I would like to continue with in the game.

Quote:
Bearsie made a coaster game himself with his own ports and ships. He has modified all ports, goods and ships to make it work though. Maybe you can contact him

I certainly will! - and, in any case, the last thing I want to do is tread on any toes! However, I can't get his game to work on my system. Perhaps it is the language difference. I will have to consult with him about it.

Quote:
I will be uploading several of the Navion and Knutsen ships later tonight

Thanks very much!! I only hoped for one, perhaps two!!!! How do you do it???

May I thank you all for your advice and help on this topic.

Best wishes

Tim
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had much time the last few months, and PoC is on my old Computer which is sort of inactive...

Anyway, it takes some work to make a coaster game, mostly due to the freight system in the game.
I made a separate town file, only with ports in Europe, original towns and my own (and a few others) add on towns.
Then I parked the original game town file someplace and substituted it with my "coaster" file.
One thing to pay attention to is to make sure that ANY freight shown in a town is in the goods file! or you will get nothing but error messages.
I have around 300 different coasters from about 300 to 2400 tons, even a Spits and a few "Binnenschiffe" (Barges)

Once the game is started fine tuning can begin, part of this is again in the goods file. The line: <ertragprotag> the Number has to be carefully raised by 5 or 10 to get the cargo to pay enough to keep the coasters alive... this takes careful balancing or by the time small coasters make a living the big ones become all Millionaires, which is no fun...
Best to keep the fleet size between 500 and 1200 tons or the differences become too great.
My Europe goes only to Portugal and does not include the Med.
There are 2 reasons for this, for one the increased distances play havoc with the freight rates and the inbetween harbors get little freight.
The other reason is historic since the old German and Dutch coaster Captain Licences restricted the Range to the Baltic, Northsea, Mid-Norway to Cape Finisterre, I added a few miles by including Portugal and Norway to Tromsoe.
It certainly makes for a great game but is somewhat labor intensive to set up plus all files, original and modified have to be saved someplace as back up and the whole thing has to be reloaded after each update, since updates overwrite the modified files.

I am not sure if any of the coasters on my website will suit you.
A few of them are also on Christian Todd's homepage.

Greetings, Bearsie Smile

Ah yes, the web site... : http://mysite.verizon.net/ress3y0n/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL User Made Ports, Goods, Vessels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: