Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong definitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call for iPhone and iPod touch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eris
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Wrong definitions Reply with quote

I just read the help file text in English as well and I found a wrong of tramping. And it will probally come in all help files in other languages...

Its not a big issue ofcourse but maybe if you find some time:

Quote:
The traffic of goods by sea is organized in accordance with international agreementsand contracts between individual countries. About 80% of the goods (called "cargo volume")
transported between two countries is handled by ships registered under the flags of the countries concerned. The remaining 20% are open to the free competition of ships under other flags.
These ships, called "tramp" ships,are usually prepared to transport all kinds ofgoods. This aspect of the shipping business is the focus of Ports of Call.

This is not the right definition of tramp shipping. Because 1 the flag of convenience states like Panama, Liberia some other Caribians countries owns at this moment maybe 60 of all gross tonnage. So for example Germany or Netherlands and even China has not enough tonnage to transport all the goods they produce. So far I know the foreign rate of ships is in Rotterdam around 90 to 95% only some ferries and the most inland shipping boats are from the Dutch flag.

So far i know tramp shipping is sailing with a ship with different ports like. We go now Rotterdam, We load then for Hamburg discharge in Hamburg and go Empty to Kalingrad and discharge in Stockholm for example.

The traffic of goods by sea is organized in accordance with international agreementsand contracts between individual countries. About 80% of the goods (called "cargo volume")
transported between two countries is handled by shipping lines. The remaining 20% are open to the free competition of ships under all other ships that sails to different ports.
These ships, called "tramp" ships,are usually prepared to transport all kinds ofgoods. This aspect of the shipping business is the focus of Ports of Call.

I know my english isn't the best and probably needs some rewrite but that doesn't matter for me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramp_trade
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this text was used by POC for about 25 years now -- maybe something has changed in the definition so far ? Or nobody noticed since then ?? Of course shipping changed, but poc classic still uses the old ships and plays in the year 1985

But thanks for the hint - we will l check for it.
Christian Todt
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ eris:
but you have to consider that even panama registered ships can belong to dutch, german french,... shipping companys.

Another hint:
if you're doing traineeship as shipping merchant,
you can ccc in line or tramp business in germany.
if you ccc yourself to the trampbusiness, it means
dealing mosty with charter companys
(of which we have quite a lot in hamburg)

so it seems to me that there are more than one definition
of the word trampshipping in the world....

Greets,
CT
corne_mo
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree with Eris that the definition as given in PoC is maybe not the best and most real-life one. But if RDK can put some sort of line-shipping in the game (afaik it's still on the to-do list) this whole discussion is not necessary. Very Happy
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats a good solution -- probably we have to put a timeline to the help text and say whats currently.

the line business will come definitly, we getting cloer, I was also busy with the smallwater version as we had some delay due to manpower missing at the moment for the harbour scenes (they are in checkup phase)-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call for iPhone and iPod touch All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: