Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is 1975 the best earliest starting year?
Yes, I like the way how it is now.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but there's more work needed on the future (2005+)
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
No, I want sail, steam, the earlier, the better
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
No, I would like to see the entire 20th century
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 51

speedyy
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Starting year Reply with quote

Just a poll, i've got a question of the year the game should start, is it good this way or should the starting year be earlier?

Comments would be appreciated
thoreson9
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting year Reply with quote

I think 1900 should be the start year, then you would be able to play through World War I and World War II, during which there were plenty of high paying cargos (of note- there was also the risk of being torpedoed, could add an interesting scenario to the game) and play through the years. Some of the events you could witness would be the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 (possible sub game: gain status by rescuing lots of passengers), opening of the Panama Canal in 1914 and of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959, and so on.

Visit my shipping website, lots of photos of Great Lakes ships. http://lakeeriepassages.50megs.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dringi
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a good idea. But it is also a lot of work. A lot of old Ships must be added (also sailing-ships). A lot of events must be programmed (e.g. blockade of german, italian, japanese habours in WWII (Germany also in WWI). Also some cargo-types are not available in the early years: e.g.: electronic stuff. But it would be cool.

Greetings
Holger
Check out two cool sides: http://www.holger-moenikes.de (all about me) and http://www.gis-ingenieur.de (all about geographic information systems --> under construction). Both in german language only. Sorry.
speedyy
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's alot more, for example, you might be able to buy an old klipper in 1900 (sail ship) which doesn't cost any fuel, but must be maintained after almost every trip.

Rotterdam went big in the fifties, together with alot of other harbours which didn't exist in 1900

Steam power is like you guessed, Coal fuel, which also should be implemented

Together with some channels which weren't built.

You'll then have to create an entire evolution line with scenario's like

'14-'18 WW1
'29- +/- '35 Wall Street crash
'40 - 45 WW2
'73 Oil crisis
...and alot more

together with at least 25 new ships Shocked Smile

But i think when he has managed this, he created the ultimate PoC.

Although it's a lot of work.
thoreson9
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you start in 1900 I'm not sure there are many sailing ships to buy. If RDK needs research done on older vessels to add to the game, I'd be happy to do it.

Visit my shipping website, lots of photos of Great Lakes ships. http://lakeeriepassages.50megs.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
speedyy
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could work togehter to make a Database thoreson9, because my interest always were in steam power, and yes, the last profit making clippers were built in 1890 in europe so it could easily fit in the 1900 market, but then again you are right, sail was dying in that period.
Christian Todt
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
perhaps you could ask for old ship datas at Hapag-Lloyd(1900 it was to Corporations)and Rickmers.
Only one idea...... Cool .

CT
Mountbatten516
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: As a hobby Reply with quote

I am thinking of adding old style liners and ships to make it possible to run Cunard, White Star, HAPAG, etc. lines. Just mentally deducting 70 from the years to make 1905 (starting with the Russo-Japanese War too!)

Would be nice as this was the golden age of shipping. Have aspects like immigrants, luxury ships and since they were the only means of transport (no planes yet) they were magnificent. I think it would even be possible to have a big-name publisher pick it up.

Some things I thought of for this:

Time or event triggers to have special historic events, advances in technology, international maritime laws (ie. lifeboat safety regulations after a Titanic-size disaster) or historic events.

Ports should shrink or grow depending on location, volume of trade, international situation, etc.

International political situation has a hand in it - should determine which ports are 'warzones' but for big war (WW1, WW2) even open seas have risk of submarines. Raider risk should be differentiated between surface raiders (early 20th century mainly), submarine raiders (WW1-WW2-present), airborne raiders (WW2-present) - surface raiders can capture ships which then can also be recaptured by friendly vessels. Air raiders can nullify surface and submarine effects to a certain degree.

Governments can hire, contract, requisition ships from the fleet with increased risk of war loss in some cases. If ships are requisitioned and hired you lose control of them and they stand the risk of loss, damage or capture only being returned after the war.

New wartime accessories can include weapons and armor plating which can protect against attack types (AA vs aircraft, naval guns vs surface and to a limited degree submarine threats) while peacetime accessories can include communications from the early Marconi sets to modern GPS, firefighting equipment (fire was a terrible danger and great fear in the early ships), lifesaving equipment and lifeboats, etc. The idea is making individually customizable ships.

Government can also charter and hire ships and can have as possible 'cargoes' troops and war materiel. Of course this makes you a legitimate target for enemy action. For example with a start date like 1905, the Russians and Japanese are fighting a war. Let's say you're running a British shipping company in Hong Kong. Japanese government can offer contracts to you for shipping soldiers and war materiel to Korea and North China.

It would be nice to have a 'shipyard' and 'Research & Development' also at this time. Naval architectural research, flooding control, metallurgy, communications, propulsion, luxury fittings, etc. could be researchable. Would be nice to be able to build your own luxury liner as well as having available the great liners of the past (of course a big draw would be captaining such legends as Titanic, Lusitania, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth 2) with a view from the captain's bridge if possible.

There could be the historic BLUE RIBAND competition for the fastest Atlantic crossing. There are also issues for cleanliness and maintenance of separate accommodations (Steerage for immigrants and poor) and overcrowding ships. Perhaps ticket pricing could also be taken into account.

As icing on the cake they could also have a graphical input which would allow you to design your own funnel colors and flag.

Mountbatten
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get more ships we really need volunteers,

the shipyard is planed and will come as this helps also getting more ships more easy.
StickyMonk
PoC Veteran
Special Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Special Licensee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdklein wrote:
to get more ships we really need volunteers,

Let me know what you need and i will see if I can help Smile

for my ships,cargo and harbors don't visit my web site as they are not there anymore
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoreson9 wrote:
Actually, if you start in 1900 I'm not sure there are many sailing ships to buy. If RDK needs research done on older vessels to add to the game, I'd be happy to do it.

There were still lots of "used" sailing ships in 1900 , mostly in the Baltic and used for coastal freight. Majority of the fleet by then was steam.
although some "Baltic Traders" and such were build brand new in those years. And of course the Dutch and the British had quite a fleet of famous coastal sailors in those days.

As far as sailing ships in the game , I have 4 with tonnages from 350 to 3300 tdw, I simply gave them a smallish auxilary engine to make it work.
In real life most sailing freighters had aux engines anyway, at least after 1915 or so.

First motor driven river ship was built in Russia in 1904, somewhat similar was a canal ship for the Rhine - Marne Canal in 1903, with Herr Rudolf Diesel on board during the maiden voyage.

First big sea going Motorship was the "Selandia" built in 1911 by Burmester & Wain in Danmark, and visited by Kaiser Wilhelm II during the Kieler Woche the following year.

Bereits kurz nach seiner Erfindung wurde der Dieselmotor für Boote eingesetzt, bald darauf für Binnenschiffe. Die dänische Reederei East Asiatic Company ließ 1912 bei der Werft Burmeister und Wain in Kopenhagen das erste hochseetaugliche Motorschiff, das Passagierschiff "Selandia", bauen. Die 4964 Bruttoregistertonnen (über 14.000 m³) vermessene Selandia war 117 m lang, 16 m breit und hatte einen Tiefgang von 9 m. Mit zwei umsteuerbaren Vier-Takt-Dieselmotoren der Firma Burmeister & Wain von je 800 kW (1088 PS) erreichte das Zweischrauben-Schiff eine Geschwindigkeit von 12 Knoten (22,2 km/h). Bereits auf ihrer Jungfernreise legte sie 22.000 Seemeilen (40.000 km) zurück.

By the mid or late 30's Diesel had almost caught up with steam, at least in European continental fleets. With the british running their famous Collier fleets based on coal clear into the late 50's.

Steam is up, Captain Wink
StickyMonk
PoC Veteran
Special Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Special Licensee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearsie, do you make new ships for the 2d game or just for the ship yard screen?

for my ships,cargo and harbors don't visit my web site as they are not there anymore
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StickyMonk wrote:
Bearsie, do you make new ships for the 2d game or just for the ship yard screen?

I make them for the 2D game, 130 ships sofar. Mostly coasters but also a few larger ships.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: