Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do YOU do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarkedrew
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: What do YOU do? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

The reason that I started this topic is to find out about the users of POC. Some may say that this topic doesn't necessarily belong in the XXL section, but it seems to be the most used, and hence would give the greatest number of results. Smile

Here it would be great if everyone would participate and post generic details like age, career, and perhaps ---? (as long as there is no-one who feels like asking this question is ---...) Confused

With the data from this topic, it would be possible to work out the sort of person who uses 'Ports of Call'...
clarkedrew
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should start...

I'm a 20 year old male (nearly 21) who is currently studying for a Biology degree at Southampton University in England.

I used to play the original POC on an old Amiga, and (as I was very young and naive) assumed it was freeware/public domain. Now I know of rdklein's vastly improved version, I have bought a gold licence, and hope to upgrade very soon to a platinum.

Hope that covers everything, and encourages others to take part... Exclamation
Leopard79
PoC Frequent Visitor
Platinum Licensee
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Okay...here I am... Reply with quote

Jeps, I´m 23 (allmost 24) years old finnish male and I´m studying Marketing at Häme Polytechinc. I have been young and stupid many years ago, too. I played POC with Amiga, and it wasn´t legal version. Now, I have Platinum and I have to admit that I visit everyday, many times, in POC´s pages trying to find new update. You can say that I have eaten that hook...

And somehow, I´m quite sure that it has been this game´s fault that I read marketing at the moment. It have been so impressive...And the update which I really want to see, is stock and Internet-game capable version...I don´t now when it´s coming but I can wait...

Leopard79
Jannic
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy!

I'm a 24 year old male. I live in Balingen, a 33.000 citizen town in the south of Germany. I study business informatics at the University in Albstadt.

I bought the Platinum License as I've played the DOS version of POC for so many years and I wanted to support this great game (and RDK). I also look on this page every day to get a new update Wink

Besides POC I like Star Trek. Everyone who wants to know more about me can visit my homepage http://www.jorichter.de/ (but it is in German).

Live long and prosper!
Jannic
horst_machete
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: So who is horst_machete ? Reply with quote

Well, it seems we have a trend in age: I recently turned 25. Im a male, but then, we`re short of women as it seems, so no advantage there. Im studying in the tiny town of Elsfleth/Weser where they offer "maritime economics and port management". Im in my 4th semester and hope to be of help concerning development of xxl.
And, well, i too am guilty of excessive illegal use of poc classic - go amiga! But i hope to be forgiven, I bought platinum this time although it was hard. I`m trying to make it worth the money by playing every minute i have, and more.
Ragnar
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go,

I'm 20 years young, just finnished my school part as maritime officer, born and still living in The Netherlands.

Next year when ive finnished my trainnee time, i'm going back to school for my highest degree as maritime officer.

I'm coming out a sailor family, my grandpa was Captain on a ferry

(the Olau Line) later on he became River-Pilot, my dad was a Capt. and did various expeditions to Antartica

on one of those voyages there was a German Television crew onboard wich made a movie about the expedition i believe it was on the German television around 1993
later on he became General Manager for a Dutch Shipping Company and a few years later he started as Port Captain for Six Construct, a leading construction-engineering firm.

This was it quite a bit.
Dangerous
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar,

Is the last ship in your series of photos the "Canterbury express" or "Auckland Express"? it may just be a ship of the same class but I thought I would ask.

I am 27 years old and have been at sea since 1992 as a able seaman on deepsea trawlers, ro/ro ships, passenger,Greenpeace, and my last ship was a fisheries patrol vessel. Now I am coxswain on a pilot launch and I am trying to buy my first tugboat.....
McEagle
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm a 26 year old male. I live in a big 2700 citizen town ( Very Happy ), 50 km in the south of Vienna (near Wr. Neustadt). I am working as an accountant and IT-Administrator in a tax adviser office (at Mödling).

I played POC first time with Amiga. Some time ago I found the DOS Version. Now I bought Platinum License to support the new version and to look how its developing.

McEagle
Klaas
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, now about me.
I'm 21 years old. I'm in the last year of my Informatica study. So, you could say I'm a programmer.
I have nothing with boats or anything like that, but I just like the game.
On my old pc (in dos!) I played poc many hours, days and weeks.

Now I'm glad there this new version, so we can do it again.
Yakasha
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a youngin, probably because I'm the youngest to post so far. I'm 19, male, and I live in Launceston, which is in Tasmania, and considering our own country forgets about us, it's in Australia.

I was a networking student, but I finished, so now I'm a full time POC player.

I never played it on amiga, about a month ago a mate told me about this really cool game he used to play, and we proceeded to play POC Classic. I was a bit dubious at first, and thought he was joking about it being a 'great game'. But after an hour, I was hooked. Then he told me about XXL, and unfortunately, I haven't run classic since.

So I think this is where I'll compliment RDK and everyone else that contributes to the development of such a great game, congratulations, and keep up the good work.
thoreson9
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd be interested to know if any of you can beat this. I'm a 14 year old student in my first year of high school. I live in Erie Pennsylvania, a rather busy port on the Great Lakes. My dad got me interested in shipping, and always has been taking me when he goes to watch ships. The first one I saw was the J. Burton Ayers on May 31,1989.I skip school occasionally to watch ships, although I don't do that too often.

Jeff Thoreson
Erie,PA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making me feel old. I am a male, 38 years old living in a suburb of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. After graduating university with a BA Honours in history, I had a choice between doing my MA in Vancouver in Ottoman Turkish history, or getting married and a job - I took the job.

Always interested in ships, I got an entry level job with Tropical Shipping, but soon moved over to Hapag-Lloyd. I worked in the sales dept. at Hapag and then Mitsui-OSK Lines. In 1994, I moved to Montreal and worked for Abitibi-Price Shipping, and was in charge of operating their chartered fleet of 6 vessels, as well as chartering in extra tonnage. We moved mostly newsprint. Later, I also worked for MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Corp. I have now moved into freight forwarding, and work for Danzas Inc, who is owned by the Deutsche Post. I sell ocean and air now.

I still love history, particularly Canadian and Nautical. I have also developed an interest in blacksmithing, and hope to one day turn to that full-time. I also hope to one day finish my efforts to get my degree from the Institute of Chartered Shipbroking.
Ingemar
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here to support you, Brad. Although not nearly as old as you are Wink , 31 years old, male, married and I work in IT as a network engineer at a company that's about to give 188 employees 'the left foot of fellowship' (get their butts kicked, fired). Not sure what I will do next.

Like most of you, I've been playing POC classic illigally until my conscience caught up with me and left me with an irresistable urge to pay for it.....bought the Platinum.
jarmo
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading about you guys makes me feel old.
I am a 48 year old married guy living in a northern suburb of the Gold Coast, Australia. Currently I have a little extra time due to a minor medical scare.
I am no computer whizz but I enjoy playing the multi millionaire shipping magnate (1.5bio). Many thanks to rdklein for giving me this opportunity.
lmfdabo
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm 24 years old male from Finland and I started to play POC on old DOS computers, I didn't know by the time that you had to pay for it, but now days when the POC XXL came out I thought let's buy a license and support this great game idea, so now I have the gold license.

I like to play transport games, like tycoon games. So I have played most of the serious tycoon games there is. Also I like simulator games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: