Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

earlier startyear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian Todt
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: earlier startyear Reply with quote

hi rdklein,

when it is possibile to have earlier starting years to choose!
some of the great "facturers" of the addons exspecially Bearsie
have made quite old ships. and it would be nice if you could use thewm in the right century.

CT
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I can change this - maybe dynamically (checking the xml files), so stadnard users dont have it when starting.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: correct century Reply with quote

haha !!!

Wait until I introduce the "Peter von Danzig" ex Pierre de Rochelle.

year of build: 1450 AD Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lucky there was a replica build in 1990 I believe Wink
Stephen Wilson
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love the game to go right back to the beginnings of the steam ship
or even to the days of sail.

I think that the game suffers a bit at the moment from lack of incentive. In the original game you were always aiming for a larger faster ship and the ultimate thing was to have a bow thruster equipped ship. In the game as it stands today, things like bow thrusters are available practically from day one and this takes away a lot of the excitement from a gameplay point of view.

Going back in time would help a lot with new technologies coming along year after in a tech tree kind of style eg triple expansion engines, turbine engines, diesel engines or sail, paddle, screw, pods etc

The main problem in going back in time I can see is that the ships from the 1950s etc eg Patrocolus, Clan Ross etc which were fairly large ships in their day are already very tiny in the shipviewer due to the scale, and going back ships get smaller and practically invisible...Perhaps it would be a good idea to abandon the scale in the side view of the ship and only use it in the top down 2d view.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Wilson wrote:
I would love the game to go right back to the beginnings of the steam ship
or even to the days of sail.

I think that the game suffers a bit at the moment from lack of incentive. In the original game you were always aiming for a larger faster ship and the ultimate thing was to have a bow thruster equipped ship. In the game as it stands today, things like bow thrusters are available practically from day one and this takes away a lot of the excitement from a gameplay point of view.

Going back in time would help a lot with new technologies coming along year after in a tech tree kind of style eg triple expansion engines, turbine engines, diesel engines or sail, paddle, screw, pods etc

The main problem in going back in time I can see is that the ships from the 1950s etc eg Patrocolus, Clan Ross etc which were fairly large ships in their day are already very tiny in the shipviewer due to the scale, and going back ships get smaller and practically invisible...Perhaps it would be a good idea to abandon the scale in the side view of the ship and only use it in the top down 2d view.

Agreed.

Re: Scale. It has been my opinion right along that scale really isn't needed.
no one in their right mind would order an Oil picture from a painter with a black dot in the middle showing hist first boat !
The boat or ship is painted to fill the frame....
I tend to make mine around 300x 100 pixels and could go a bit higher but due to the high waterline within the given frame the tops of the masts will be cut off, max height at the moment is about 115 pixels,
this works fine with real small ships or modern bulkers, it doesn't work so well with old fashioned freighters. I have to "squash" them i.e. distort the proportions to fit them in.
Most graphics, pictures and such, movies, TV all fill the screen and let you decide how big the thing is, that would make for much nicer sideviews Smile

I suppose you need scale for the 2d maneuver, although even there it gets rather difficult to see your ship if its a 15 meter tug for instance...
so I made a "garish" topview in kelly green and canary yellow so I can find my boat Laughing Rolling Eyes
Haven't figured quite out what to do about that.
One can always fudge it, the computer assigns the berth by the size given in the xml file, I suppose one could make anything below a hundred meters 100 pixels and 100 meters in the xml file and live with it.

And yes, if you went to 1900 the average ship in th game would be much smaller, actually even in 1950
In 1960 the average coaster and there were 2000 of them just in Germany was between 500 and 1200 tdw 40 to 80 meters,
most seagoing freighters (besides the Australia trade) were around 3000 to 7500 tdw, or about 90 to 120 meters.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: progress Reply with quote

Bow thrusters and such. You may have noticed that quite a few of my old ships have them, the reason is simple.
Many of my ships are still afloat and even though they were built
in the 50's or 60s' (like the Picaro) their owners added modern equipment as time went by.
there is no way to "buy updates" in the game so I either have to put them in or leave them off...
I suspect the Option: buy a Pirate shield could be used to buy upgrades? like radar, engines, thrusters and such ?

Radar would be a good one since the game has a "fog" option
which would mean without radar you sit there 3 days or some such.
Christian Todt
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a problem of going in ealier times would be that the freight rates for lower
masses of freight were much higher, as it wasn't possibile to carry lots of freight. i think the current econimic engine of poc would have problems and would need to be justified for these years.

CT
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian Todt wrote:
a problem of going in ealier times would be that the freight rates for lower
masses of freight were much higher, as it wasn't possibile to carry lots of freight. i think the current econimic engine of poc would have problems and would need to be justified for these years.

CT

Very true, I already have that problem with the coasters, and when
I set the <ertragprotag> higher for them, big ships make Waayyyy
tooo much money!!!
so I have to switch 2 sets of goods files.... or change the cargo rates in 99 harbors...
not sure what could be done about that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: