Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting funds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWingfield
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Starting funds Reply with quote

Hello,
Does anyone know how to change through the .dat files the amount of money you start with?
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its encrypted.
RWingfield
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have the method of getting throught the encyption then? (not my area of expertise)
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an attempt to crack my code, dont answer! This is illegal by law.

To get more start money, you need to buy a platinum license.
RWingfield
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry didn't realise it was illegal. Not very savvy with computer copywriting.
Rhys
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Illegal??? Reply with quote

Hmm...

Changing a piece of software that is the intellectual property of someone else is NOT illegal.

Although it could be argued that someone is avoiding the 4 Euro registration fee by changing the code to give themselves more starting credits, it is HIGHLY unlikely that this would be considered in any country as an illegal act. With a very good lawyer you may be able to sue for 4 euros in damages but there is no way that this would be considered as an illegal or criminal act.

You would have a better chance of suing someone for damages if they released code that directly circumvented your registration process, which in many countries would be considered as "piracy" or "software theft" which IS a crime in some countries.

Sorry if I sound negative - I think POC is brilliant and I have paid for a platinum registration and I guess you guys have the right to be annoyed that so many people played POC on cracked Amiga versions, but please try to avoid saying things like "changing our code is illegal" - this is not true.
Sparky
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhys,

Quote:
but please try to avoid saying things like "changing our code is illegal" - this is not true.

That is quite a weird argumentation. In what country do you live? I really would like to know where this opinion is law.
Even Public Domain Software is only free for circulation on condition that no part of the code has been altered.

Regards Sparky
Rhys
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have worked with IPR in many european countries as well as America and South Africa.

Many authors of public domain software make it a CONDITION of their public domain license that it cannot be distributed in modified form and thus would be able to take a civil action against any persons who break that condition but this is still NOT ILLEGAL.

Something ILLEGAL is a criminal act that the country/state would prosecute a person for commiting.

I can assure you that in Germany a person who modified the code of POC simply for their own entertainment would not be commiting a criminal act.

You would be able to take a civil action against that person (i.e. sue them for breach of contract) but to say that it is "Illegal by law" is wrong.
Sparky
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I see your point ...
Rhys
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
But anyway, I shouldn't have said anything, because I love your software and think you guys are very talented.

So please let me apologise for beoing so grumpy, perhaps I did not have enough beer at the weekend Laughing

I hope people will continue to support you by registring the product, I believe that paying for something you enjoy is very important so that it encourages people to keep doing more great stuff.

Good luck and keep developing this great game!

(by the way, I am registered platinum, but it will not show on my profile for some reason - I entered the serial number from the email that you sent)
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to enter the special code, which is displayed when you click on "license " on the main screen of pocxxl.
St.Paddy
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am the same as Rhys - can't get my platinum licence to display.

Have tried what you suggest RDK but it didn't work for me

Tim
Rhys
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok, I will try later, I haven't tried the XXL yet, I'm having too much fun with classic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: