Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Various problems encounterd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Sim3D II Discussion & Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monty
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Various problems encounterd Reply with quote

Herr Klein,

My 3d ii game is stopping for no reason while ship is manuevering through harbor, once with McAfee virus protection on and, then I turned off the protection, as instructed by messeage box (game damaged) and I reboot computer. played from saved game 6 months earlier and the game stopped, again. Anti virus "on or off" is not helping. I am in April of 1992 with 12 ships. I was playing for a long period of time over the weekend. I use my key board (I hope you change the Shift Ctrl button sequence soon). Any other reasons for stoppage are probably endless. Saving games every month to prevent lost game time is bothersome.

Also, Ras Laffan comes up as Halifax just like Willemstad replaces Caracas La Guaria any way to get these ports included in game would be appreciated. I could add ports but I am not sure about the quality of other add ons or the complexity of messing with the original format.

I see many discrepencies with data between "select a ship" data and actual game playing data while using the ships. Example: speed of ships are rarely the same and Zim Canada GT freight is about ten thousand higher in game than shown on Expansion Pack detail (I like the favorable difference).

Thanks for the hard work on providing an envolution of enjoyment since playing on my old Amiga Commodore in early 1990"s.
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean pocxxl not pocsim3dii - and which version ?
monty
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POCXXL is OK the other screen allowing you to guide ships through the harbor is the problem.

I rercently downloaded the rev. 163 version of POCSIM3DII following your instructions exactly and I deleted the original Media/... page as cautioned. I also downloaded the two expansion packs after about a week of playing through 1980's. I play the game and the 3d ship movement just stops for no reason. Today, it happened two more times. each within ten minutes after playing a few hours. The 3D screen stopped, and the computer shut down automatically, but did not damage the game. The second time it stopped and I had to manually shut down the computer. The problem is getting worse.
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks like a driver problem - but more it looks like a motherboard problem e.g. temperature problem on the grafic card., which can explain why its getting worse over the time.

1. update the drivers to the most recent version
2. also use a benchmarkprogram for testing your grafic card in a stressed way for example. Check the cpuand grafic card temperatures.
3. also wrong timing or voltage in the memory banks can explain this.
monty
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I have a dual monitor GT 7600 PCIE DVI/S - Video graphic card on my HP and I often leave for a awhile to handle calls or other business with the game minimized and this is possibly heating it up. I played for 4 hours last night with no problems with just the second monitor on, but no connections, and there were no interruptions. I am still a little confused why my McAfee needs turned off . I will try to operate game with it on again to test the results.
monty
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unable to play the 3dII part of the game. a new message shows up now "Failed to connect3D image device" Crying or Very sad and sends me back to pocxxl with a tug fee . I tried to access benchmarkprogram information but I could not find a suitable site and I have no idea what your talking about concerning timing and voltage , this is frustrating. All sites say the GT 7600 is a great graphic card. I need help!
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw "Failed to connect3D image device" this message must be a system messsage ?

For the benchmrk try
http://www.futuremark.com/

they have free version of 3dmark also,

which drivers versions do you have installed ?
Christian Todt
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some times ago i had this problem also.
the message always occurred, if i had a second
program running which needed 3d ressources (e.g. Google Earth,...)

the shut down problem could indeed be a temerature problem.
some time ago (ca. 1 year) i hada a similar problem.
i solved it by installing more fans on the case ofe my pc.
since then it's working fine.

CT
monty
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian and Herr Klein, thanks for the information I was way outside my comfort zone, but and I reloaded Nvidia drivers upgrade #178.24 and the game is working better than ever. I must have done something wrong before.Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Sim3D II Discussion & Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: