Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ports Of Call -- ideas for update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call for iPhone and iPod touch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Ports Of Call -- ideas for update Reply with quote

I start with some on my wishlist:

1. more languages (german, french and espaniol maybe norwegian also)
2. toggle switch to go in full screen(hide the side bar buttons) - butmust bea togle else the 2d sim and radar is no playable.

3. got a request as Ports Of Call classc is too complicated for newbees to add more documentation on the gameplay -- maybe ideas welcome where problems are as I am not seing it after 20 years gameplay.

4. online highscore (thats easy to to with the iPhone).

5. multiplayer WIFi (possible when rev 3.0 is released for the iPhone, but maybe lot of UI todo)

Last edited by rdklein on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
yetanother
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only wish...

Play against the computer...
As it is now, I win every time Smile
And I see no challenge in that...

(PS! I speak for myself, but cant see any reason to translate the game to norwegian.. Would just make it sound really silly Smile And every norwegian read english perfectly... speaking it good, now thats another question we shall leave unanswered Smile )
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes next we will have a highscore for the iPhone and IPod touch,
the update is in the review process.

you can look at it already:
http://www.rdklein.de/pochighscore/poc_hscore.php

hope this will give a challenge to play against the world.

the AI player is on the wish list for one of the updates
we have a translation or the Norwegian language, except the help file needs to be translated but needs some efford to have it as an updateinstead of a new product which I dont want -- good toknow that the English is no probem, the only complain i got in a bad review in the german App Store, which killed us there
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some new screens:

Superhai
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this game on my iphone. But there are some things that annoys me. If I turn sound off, it will not remember it next time I play. Option to play my music from the ipod app during gaming.
Mee
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Delimiter Reply with quote

This would be a very unspectacular update but still a nice one.
What about a delimiter to have a better overview when displaying huge numbers?

Display in game right now:
$ 1045871

My suggestion:
$ 1,045,871

The benefit: Faster and much easier overview of charges & prices.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schreibweise_von_Zahlen
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes your are right, but I have to check for the maximum size in all windows, als numbers then get larger by 30%.
Shouri
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Lol Reply with quote

Reminds me the good old Amiga years.

And yes I bought it and yes I still play. Very Happy Cool

- Grace Murray Hopper
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I'd like to state how great it is to finally be able to play this game on the go. Smile

If Ports of Call is to re-enter the mainstream then it needs to appeal to users who have never heard of it before. For people like myself the appeal lies with the fact that I played it on the Amiga and PC (having bought the license online) and absolutely loved it, but for someone who is completely new to the game I would recommend developing a new, revamped version, basically creating a new game that sticks to the general ideas and gameplay but brings the game into the 21 century: new graphics, updated ports, new ships & cargo.

You might also want to add a linear time-line (similarly as in the Railroad Tycoon/Transport Tycoon series) where for example you start off in the early 1900's and new ships become available over time. That would keep people playing for ages because there would always be a challenge ahead, replacing an old fleet with a new one, etc. You could even keep changes in technology happening in years like 2050 by introducing nuclear powered cargo ships (recently China has actually started discussing this idea publicly!).

Upgrades to ships would be another interesting idea, as well as the ability to buy other non-ship upgrades, maybe buildings in one's home port for example? Like a fuel storage depot where large amounts of fuel could be stored in the home port.

Of course the option to play the Classic version would naturally remain. But for players completely new to POC I would recommend creating a new product. Smile
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any plans to take the game forward or commence work on a new version of the game that would be set in current times?

I love the classic game but as mentioned I can also see how the next generation of players would need a new "Ports of Call" for today's day and age.
DavidD
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: iPhone/iTouch version should have been modernised... Reply with quote

As others have said, this is indeed a faithful reproduction of the original, which is fast approaching 25 years of age. But, if Ports of Call is to gain new fans it needs to appeal to todays players. This classic version should have been modernised, sticking to the principals of the original game but bringing the graphics in line with todays expectations. PoC Classic will never win new fans if it does not do this, which is a shame as it really is a good game.

In my opinion the price of $4.99 is also a little high considering I purchased other classics from the same Amiga era like ‘The Secret of Monkey Island’ and ‘Beneath a Steel Sky’ for the same price, but those games have updated their graphics for the iPhone/iTouch and won not only their old fans back, but have won twice as many new ones as well.
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad wrote:
First off I'd like to state how great it is to finally be able to play this game on the go. Smile

If Ports of Call is to re-enter the mainstream then it needs to appeal to users who have never heard of it before. For people like myself the appeal lies with the fact that I played it on the Amiga and PC (having bought the license online) and absolutely loved it, but for someone who is completely new to the game I would recommend developing a new, revamped version, basically creating a new game that sticks to the general ideas and gameplay but brings the game into the 21 century: new graphics, updated ports, new ships & cargo.

You might also want to add a linear time-line (similarly as in the Railroad Tycoon/Transport Tycoon series) where for example you start off in the early 1900's and new ships become available over time. That would keep people playing for ages because there would always be a challenge ahead, replacing an old fleet with a new one, etc. You could even keep changes in technology happening in years like 2050 by introducing nuclear powered cargo ships (recently China has actually started discussing this idea publicly!).

Upgrades to ships would be another interesting idea, as well as the ability to buy other non-ship upgrades, maybe buildings in one's home port for example? Like a fuel storage depot where large amounts of fuel could be stored in the home port.

Of course the option to play the Classic version would naturally remain. But for players completely new to POC I would recommend creating a new product. Smile

Just curious if there's any plan to give the original game a fresh coat of paint and possibly release it for the iPad at the same time?

I recently played another golden oldie from the good ol' Amiga days titled "Another World" and just like the "Monkey Island" game, it has updated graphics (with the option of playing in the original resolution as well). Would be nice to do a POC special/anniversary release where both the original version and a modern-day re-do are offered. The newer version wouldn't have to be 3D or anything like that, but just a similar game to the old one with some new (2D) scenarios, revamped ports/goods/ships, etc.
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the new version should be more like pocxxl but even on top of this to have a chance on the market --- I think the unity 3d approach is great but needs more work to get it (then all platforms are available at once, android, iOS and for iMacs, even a online version)... Thats my big plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call for iPhone and iPod touch All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: