Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How about building your own ships?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to be able to develop & build your ships?
Yes !
95%
 95%  [ 100 ]
No !
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 105

DennisV
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: will there also be...... Reply with quote

will there also be a "finished parts" section, like building blocks (like lego)
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely like the idea of owning a Shipyard Cool

many ways to do that I suppose, it could even be incorporated into the Stockmarket (which I don't play). Same could be done with Tugboats.
Although it's rather the idea to build ships that intrigues me.

Quote: "There should be limitation acording to DATE (no bow/Stern thrusters in 1975 for example) and of course between features (small engine cannot move huge ship etc.)"

Young man Smile 1975 wasn't exactly the Stone Age!
We had Bow Thrusters and Stern Thrusters back in 64 Wink

Regards, Bearsie.
Mutos
PoC Regular
Gold Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Haven't been on this forum for long and I see this topic isn't dead by now, so it seems to be a real trend towards this shipbilding thing, as shown by poll figures ^-^

Still seems to me a very very good idea. But the dev implications are huge. I don't know how ships are modelled but this implies a complete functionnal ship model maybe deeper than the one already in place, access to this model via the editor, lots of balance equations between factors to prevent inbalancing the game and moreover, lots and lots and lots of beta tests to see if everything fits well !

I'm currently talking with some people who're doing just that for their space simulations and that seems to be very far from trivial... For my game I've settled for a simpler model, w/ only external characteristics being level-moddable.

I favor the separate ship editor in a first time, then options to command a custom ship to a shipyard, then later on option to buy a shipyard. That's how I would integrate it, by manageable steps.

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
http://hoshikaze.net
http://spacesims.hoshikaze.net
Olle P
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Better with half measures... Reply with quote

As I've understood it just about every single ship that is being built today is a custom design based on the buyers specific needs.

Therefore it wouldn't be unrealistic to buy (have somebody else to actually design and build) a brand new ship by filling up a form (wish list) and then chose one out of three or so presented designs that fit those wishes.

Cheers
Olle
Shouri
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm for the idee of a shipyard, even with the option of building ships for the other players in the game... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
But the shipyard would also be in different sizes, usually shipyards (except for Japan and Korea) start small and become bigger whit fame and hard work... that also could be implemented.
Not every shipyard can build a Jahre Viking...

Shouri

- Grace Murray Hopper
hydrogeek
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about having a feature where you can submit an RFP (Request for Proposals) to fit a certain set of rather vague constraints, ie 1000-1250 TEUs, 15+ knots...prices between $12.5 mil and $17.5 mil...

or something like that

this would eliminate the need for owning your own shipyard, however you might be able to order a whole slew of ships more then you need and then lease them out to other players.

The problem with this though is that you would want to have at least two, if not three, shipyards to purchase from - maybe each one specializing in a specific type of ship (niche markets) but all competing head to head for the "normal" classes - Passenger Liners - Ferries - breakbulk - Container ships - petroleum tankers - other tankers?

Does this make sense? (If it doesn't overwhelm the programmer(s)...

Jeremy
mip
PoC Frequent Visitor
Platinum Licensee
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, i'll try to be constructive, your idea looks good, but personally the idea of OWNING a shipyard doesn't feel very good to me,just because building ships and using them are two totally different things

Mærsk Sealand own a Shipyard, so the argument that shipping and owning a shipyard are incompatable is not valid.
Bregalad
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouri
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that give also another idee..... why not build ships, even navy ships to countries. So any countries in the game may order ships to a player providing the player has the technology to do it..... just an idee

- Grace Murray Hopper
hydrogeek
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at that point you might as well have another game that is about shipbuilding and researching techs, etc, or maybe a module/exaonsion pack of some sort.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrogeek wrote:
at that point you might as well have another game that is about shipbuilding and researching techs, etc, or maybe a module/expansion pack of some sort.

That wouldn't be the worst Idea..... would be a bit like 3D sim which is already a separate module.

I have built now a few ships, but since I do not have a shipyard I took existing ships from the game and modified them, including the picture.
That was a pain in the butt ! But since I am not quite sure how it is done professionally that was my way of dealing with it.
One of the problems I ran into is fuel consumption, I either made mistakes (I know I did Embarassed )
I actually had a small ship gaining fuel if it ran fast and running out of fuel when I slowed it down, consumption is regulated by the Horsepower (KW) in the xml file first I set that to mimick my memory but the computer didn't like that, so I upped it a bit to make it work and simply increased bunkers a bit. And I goofed up the numbers for: fuel consumption which seem to be a percentage based on speed rather than actual consumption

I suspect that certain parameters are set in the base programming, I am only fiddling with the ship,xml file so I kept adjusting things until they worked.
Of course a fleet of ships sized from 500 tdw to 2400 tdw may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. Smile In a way it's just scaling down the numbers.
My next project is to convert an old danish Herring Logger into a freighter and haul Tuborg to a quiet place. Wink
The Game and its freights favor large ships and long runs, the random freight generation does not recognise the baltic lumber fleet from Finland to England for instance, so I had to be a bit unrealistic and trade to the Great Lakes and the Carribean at times in order to make any money.
going through either canal doesnt work because even at $ 100.- @ ton my coaster gets only 50 000 $ max and the canal fee is higher then that Crying or Very sad

So to make it work I had to adjust a bit from reality, but tried to keep it as real as possible within the contraints of the game.

I found a good german website / online Model Store called Scheuer & Strüver located in Hamburg and they ship international. Also they have a huge selection of paper / cardboard models at very low prices,
I bought from them. The set usually includes basic information about the ship and most important to me I get a sideview of the ship which I need to create a new image in the poc template.

The url : http://www.moduni.de/

I have to agree with some of the Posters here, Ship owners basically order ships based on their needs, they can tell the yard some parameters but not all. Many ships that most of you think of as custom build are anything but... Most yards use a series or modular system and within that there will be customisation. Like Peters / Kampen NL and their Saimaa Max series.
These are a modern version of the Baltic Timber fleet, you can get your choice engine, your color and so on, but you cant change the size, due to Lock restraints.

I am not too worried about size, I simply use a pocket calculator and an old rule of thumb: 10 x 2 x 1 = length x width x height. now height is hull heigth, not draft... So it's for example: 80 meter long x 16 meter wide x 8 meter high with about 4 to 6 meter draft.
Since 1 qubic meter of water is roughly one ton and an average freighter ways usually half of its tdw it is easy to come up with a rough size. A 8000 ton ship would have to be able to float 12000 tons.
Horsepower usually goes from 80% of tdw on a small coaster to less than 30% on a big Tanker. In the game this is given as KW which are 1.25 HP, or 1 HP is 0.75 KW. One has to be reasonable on this ....
Tugboats and Ice breakers and Navy ships are a different Ball of Wax ....

My main reason was not so much to make tons of money but to build
a fleet of coasters and small freighters, then put them into time frames that allow renewal of the fleet over time .

Of course one would have to save the files separate or they'd be gone at every upgrade ....
Personally I see the Game more as an economics and geography game with simulation capabilities. It seems easy enough with all the different Ideas to totally confuse the game and go off in all directions at once.
Not always easy to stay focused.
Last but not least, : the game isn't running while one fiddles with building ships....

But I am having a Blast with the game and enjoy it tremendously Very Happy

Regards, Pete.

Note: all and any Typo's in this Post are intentional and were authorized by the Author Razz
hydrogeek
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - You are waaay more dedicated to that shipbuilding idea then I had thought (considering you went in an modified the code!)
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mærsk Sealand own a Shipyard, so the argument that shipping and owning a shipyard are incompatable is not valid.

There are quite a few examples of that, like Rickmers in Germany.
Some yards owned shipping lines or tramp ships, other times a shipping company owned a yard or in many cases has or had a very close relationship with a favored yard and their own technical department.
Lauritzen in Denmark perhaps and Hapag and Norddeutscher Lloyd in Germany among others.

Cool Beans Cool
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrogeek wrote:
Wow - You are waaay more dedicated to that shipbuilding idea then I had thought (considering you went in an modified the code!)

Haha, I didn't modify "code" I am not a programmer. I am a retired sailor and machine repair dude Smile
Only played with a few parameters in the visible ship file.
Didnt touch RDK's secret code at all !
Wouldn't even know where to look for it , truth be told Idea
But it gave me a new respct for programmers. It is hard time consuming work especially when one makes typo after typo, those files do NOT like typo's ! Evil or Very Mad

It doesn't help that I have ADD Sad
hydrogeek
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well not code in the legally protected sort, but a type of code nonetheless Wink I don't think I am even still quite that dedicated Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: