Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How about building your own ships?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to be able to develop & build your ships?
Yes !
95%
 95%  [ 100 ]
No !
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 105

Mountbatten516
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: It's not too difficult Reply with quote

You just basically need the ship's picture from its flank/side in color, making sure that the outline is the only one taken then fill in with bluish color from other ship pictures. Then save. Then copy another and reverse colors and fill up with black and white. Make sure each individual ship file is unique.

I have an old Shaw,Saville & Albion sailing ship Zealandia and the liner Mauretania plus an old Philippine ferry.

Mountbatten516
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: It's not too difficult Reply with quote

Mountbatten516 wrote:

I have an old Shaw,Saville & Albion sailing ship Zealandia and the liner Mauretania plus an old Philippine ferry.

Mountbatten516

I would be interested in the Zelandia< I have currently 5 sail ships in the fleet Smile
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of old coasters and some sailships and a few reefers the bearovian yards just finished a run of River sea ships and modern (sort of) coasters Very Happy
latest yard number= 155.

Since so many folks here have talked about a sea tow and barges I decided to do something about it and took a tug I have (Hermes ex Bugsier) german flagged and coupled it to a carribean rust bucket coaster named Cecilie
and now they both plow tru the game at a whopping 10 knots, which is probably a bit on the optimistic side
Wink

Not a huge money maker but fun to look at Cool
Mountbatten516
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: sailing ships Reply with quote

You know with enough changes we could even put the Tea Clippers in hehehe. I will try to post Zealandia and Mauretania online but I am not sure how to go about it. Or would it be better to send it direct to you?

It is cheaper for lack of coal - not sure about maintenance cost though I think is too high. But passenger and cargo size is just too small to be practical and I think changes should be modified for goods before sail ships become practical.

Mountbatten516
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the Rickmer Rickmers of 3500 tdw and 3 baltic schooners plus a brigantine or some such Smile
and even a few small river ships like the type called a Spits and a Luxemotor

Since my coaster game is specifially set up for small ships ( 300 to 1200 tdw)
and only uses european harbors (85 of them) it works ok.not a fast way to get rich but great fun nonetheless Wink
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: sailing ships Reply with quote

Mountbatten516 wrote:

It is cheaper for lack of coal - not sure about maintenance cost though I think is too high. But passenger and cargo size is just too small to be practical and I think changes should be modified for goods before sail ships become practical.

Mountbatten516

Basically to make the small ships work I had to do several things.
I added a motor to all sail ships, the price will affect the maintenance cost,
so all my prices for the ships are based on the 60's (used of course)
for instance: in 64 the MS Egerland (500 tons)was sold for 280 000.
one has to fiddle a lot with the fuel consumption number (treibstoffverbrauch) Also due to a computer glitch the coasters with engines under 1000 kw have to run at full speed to save fuel!!!
to get the daily average right. all ships under 500 tons have a 300kw engine thats based on reality since most european countries but definitely the germans had a rule pertaining to manning requirements if 2 conditions were met: grt below 400 i.e. 399 and horsepower below 400 hp (300kw).
It's one reason you see so many old coasters listed with: 299grt (400tdw), 399 grt (500tdw), 499 grt (700 to 1200tdw) and 999 grt (1500 to 2000tdw)

One can't really mix big ships and little ships in the game, I went and deleted all waiting times for the euro harbors and gave all ships aload/unload factor of 1, still takes a minimum of 3 days for a harbor....
then I carefully adjusted in the goods file the daily gross revenue (ertrag pro tag) so I ended up with roughly 10 to 20 dollars per ton freight rates.
That seems high enough to keep the lil ships going. Of course that would be way too much money for the big ships.
so depending if I want to play coaster or go global I have to reload the other set of files. Be nice if RDK issued a coaster version of the game Very Happy

Some things can't be changed of course, the maintenance cost is a computer function based on price/size/age ?
generating freight is still random of course, as are delivery dates, I usually end up paying 10 to 15 % of my gross in late fees .... Laughing
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a table for horsepower requirements for different ship sizes, those that dabble in such things. Wink
Located on page 11 of 17.
www.manbw.com/files/news/filesof4538/p9056.pdf
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently re assembling the DSR fleet of the former DDR (east germany)
If anyone has any reasonable sideviews ( or close to it) and or data and such, please pm or email me.
Panser
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Big Tankers se Frontline Ltd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: