Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your preferred travel speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your typical speed setting:
Full speed. I want to make my money fast!
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
1-3 knots below full, to cut some fuel costs.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
About 2/3 of full speed, no real hurry.
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
About 1/2 of full speed, slow and steady.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Less than 1/2 of full speed. I want my fun to last...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Olle P
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: What's your preferred travel speed? Reply with quote

When you have a cargo without time limit, what speed do you typically set for the voyage? (Mainly for low cost and pre-owned ships.)

(I'd like to discuss this after some replies have come in.)

Cheers
Olle
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred speed is either 3/4 or all out arriving at destination at x.9 days without running out of fuel ... In my experience it is clear that fuel cost is secondary to making money, and fast passages make money.
Also many cargoes that pay well are time limit. and used ships make very good money
Wink
Only trouble with this is limited fuel and no re-bunker capability in the game, in essence one has to pull in a low fuel cost harbor like Durban and wait and wait, and wait... a bunker option would help.

Gute Reise, Bearsie.
Olle P
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forget that this question refer to PoC Classic.
Thus no option to set the speed for time = x.9 days, and Durban is not a port in the list.
Fuel price is not dependant on port, but pretty random.

Running at full speed will sometimes make the costs for a trip exceed the income.

Cheers
Olle
Relinquisitor
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use full speed, as some quick calculations showed I made the most profit that way (this only counts for the more profitable routes).

I've just started logging my fleet movements, in order to calculate the optimum speed for every route. However, most of my ships are in the 40000 tonnes league, so this might not be a big contribution to this specific topic.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, been out of town for awhile...
Of course I confused classic with XXL so I went back and played classic again for a bit. I still believe that for the most part it's advantageous to run somewhere between 2/3 and full speed

Volle Fahrt voraus, Bearsie Very Happy
mooringman
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,speed depends on sea and weather ,but off course also on the freight market.when the freight rates are high,then let the ships run and the money will run too.but with low freight rates or in ballast condition it is better to sail on "economic speed".these speed you must find out ,because it is different on each ship.brgds mooringman
Novex
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

Location: Somewhere between Rotterdam and Antwerp - the Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wath I would say, I totally agree on your comment moorningman! Cheers, Novex
canadianpoc
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is undeniable that in a fiscal year, provided you secure good routes (Something nobody else seems to under stand about PoC classic and that I will discuss now) you will make the most money at full speed, slowing down only when fuel is prohibitively expensive.

Securing routes:

The readme file in POC classic hints at the advantages of securing certain ports and routes, thus saturating them with your company's offerings, and squashing out the competition. In PoC Classic, you're MUCH better off sticking specific ships to specific routes and leaving them there. Houston->Calcutta->Houston->Calcutta etc etc will make more money than randomly hopping around chasing reasonably good rates.

Furthermore, if your company has a ship arriving in houston every 3 days, the company that provides, say, electronics for shipping will not give them to anyone else except you, and you can charge more and more and more.

An example: Using a fleet of 4 20 000 BRT ships with one arriving in houston approx every 4 or 5 days- (trip#'s do not refer to trips per boat, but rather trips per route)

Houston->Calcutta trip
#1, with Electronics: $800 thousand
#2, with Electronics: $1 Million
#3: 1.5million
#4: 2 Million
#5: 2.7 Million (time freight)
#6: 2.8 Million (time freight)

This is truly the most lucrative way to ship. I currently base my empire on Calcutta-Houston and San Francisto-Various middle eastern countries.

I have yet to make less than $20 million/year with this strategy, and it never operates in the red.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: