Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savegame load/save time

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of the loading/saving time?
I always have small fleets, so I don't bother.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Loading/saving time is perfectly fine for me.
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Loading/saving time is not good, but not a high priority.
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Loading/saving time is unbearable, high priority to fix it.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

Nerby
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Savegame load/save time Reply with quote

Hi All,

I think this is not the first time when someone complains about the time it takes to load (or save) a savegame in PoC.

Not only I think this is very slow, but it also has very strange behaviour: I had a game with 150+ ships, then I decided to sell nearly all them, remaining with about 15. Well, when I load the game I still see a small ship counter counting all the ships no more in the game, and it still takes ages.

I also understand that this is not a big issue for those who play PoC for the 2D/3D simulation, and have small fleets. But as soon as your fleet goes above 20-30 ships, loading/saving time grows unacceptably, IMHO.

Also, I am not using the stock market: what happens if someone invest in a lot of companies?

In any case, this is probably a problem of file format, which should be changed. I understand that changing from one file format to the other would introduce compatibility problems, but a simple solution would be that, given a faster file format, new versions of PoC can read both new and old savegames, while they write a savegame only in the new format. Soon all games would be in the new, faster format.

Please fix this! I think this problem is really annoying: this bug is the only reason why I don't upgrade from Gold to Platinum.

Since my opionion is quite strong on this, I would also like to check other's opnions, so I'm also starting a poll.

Nerby

Last edited by Nerby on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:45 am; edited 3 times in total
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently we use the xml file format for load and save and for debug and test we also save the histrory (eg ships no longer in the game),
we did need this a lot of time to find user bugs,
of course we know that loading and saving costs time, and we look for other possibilities which are easy to handle.
ricardo
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Bug Reports Reply with quote

I am amazed to read all the problems that users are complaining about.
I purchased a Platinum license not to operate ilegally.But obviously I have made the wrong decision. Every section of P O C have problems needles to say with the new 3d that has been added. It is now 9 months i am waiting for the column in the goods table that does not sort it in value order. I think there was an update in Sept last year but then i had to re-install and then change the date, time on my PC to keep it running.
My suggestion is that when a member of the public is keen to register pls make sure as to what exactly is his interest. I am only keen in playing P O C XXl without any sims or stock exchanges involved. Other people might only be interested in playing POC classic or poc with 2d-sim.
Allthough I own a Platinum lic I have not even looked at the update on the 3d-sim. Unfortanetly I am from South Africa and can only access the net from the work. So I have to download and then install at home. I can live with this and new it from the beginning.
But thank you for a great game and all the comms that takes place on this forum.
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget the the platinum is a life time license, thats the only game I know of this feature. We are limited in our developer team, and need more funding then we can increase the developer speed.
Olle P
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: What loading time? Reply with quote

I've never noticed any appreciable delay in POC.
Perhaps because I don't run that many ships, like never more than 30 at a time and usually ten or less.
With more ships I'm more irritated by the inability to pause and save the game while doing some of the "port business" (picking freights and maneouvering in/out of port) that take up almost all the playing time.

The only games where I've had serious loading times are BF2 (demo) and the spanking new Steel Beasts Pro PE.

/Olle
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we might have found a way to speed up, this is due to a "bug" in the string system of VB, we try to program a patch, at least for the save times.
Nerby
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdklein wrote:
we might have found a way to speed up, this is due to a "bug" in the string system of VB, we try to program a patch, at least for the save times.

These are very good news. VB has indeed some strange handling of strings (I'm a programmer, banging my head on VB code exactly now).

However I'm also happy of the larger response to my poll: guys out there, keep voting, I think your opinion is precious to RDK.

Cheers,

Nerby
StickyMonk
PoC Veteran
Special Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Special Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a LONG wait on one of my games, there are 7 of my friends which have a mutiplayer game on my computer and we all have about 30 or so ships (one has 70 cheep ones) and the load time is really really long.

for my ships,cargo and harbors don't visit my web site as they are not there anymore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL Bugreports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: