Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CLASSICAL DRYDOCK and SHIPYARD Co. Ltd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL User Made Ports, Goods, Vessels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: CLASSICAL DRYDOCK and SHIPYARD Co. Ltd. Reply with quote

Welcome to the Classical Drydock and Shipyard Co. Ltd. This is the place where you will find ships built between the years 1870 - 1970. Production is slow, as these ships are built with a meticulous eye to accuracy. Because of that, I will not shrink the ship down to POC scale, as all of the details are lost. My hope is that these ships will not only be played with on Ports of Call, but will also spark an interest that will coax others into the study of Maritime History.
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is our first offering.

This is Largs Bay.

She was built by William Beardmore and Co. Ltd., Dalmuir in 1921. She has a length of 531' and 13,853 gt. Here she is in her Australian Commonwealth Line (ACL) colours. She cruised at 15 knots, powered by two steam turbines driving twin screws, and could burn either coal or oil. Accommodation was aimed mainly at emigrants, with over 700 Third and only 12 First Class places. The First Class berths were removed as the ACL advertised all her vessels as "One Class", which really played well with Australians. ACL had five ships: Largs Bay, Moreton Bay, Hobson's Bay, Esperance Bay and Jervis Bay.

This ship was used for passenger and cargo. Unfortunately, although the company was only founded in 1921, by 1928 its owner, the Government of Australia, decided to sell off the money losing company to White Star Line for ₤1.9 million. The five ships of ACL, including Largs Bay, changed ownership to White Star Line and was managed by George Thompson and Co. Ltd (known for founding Aberdeen Lines in the early 1800's). The ships became part of the Royal Mail Group which had ships from Aberdeen, ACL and White Star on its Australian route. Soon after, the Royal Mail Group went bankrupt, and the Australian Government never received the money owed to it for the sale.

A group of owners then bought the ships, chief among them were Shaw Savill and Albion Co Ltd. and Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation Co. The ships did not change their colours or route and they were operated as the Aberdeen and Commonwealth Line from 1933.

In 1941, Largs Bay was converted to a troopship and in 1944 she was damaged by a mine in the Bay of Naples. She was returned to the Aberdeen and Commonwealth service in 1949. Her final sailing was in January 1957, and on 22nd August of that year she arrived at Barrow-in-Furness for demolition by T.W.Ward Ltd.

You will notice that this is not a side view, but a view taken from 20 degrees from the perpendicular. I feel that this gives a much better look to the vessel when looking at it, and it still sails realistically on the POC window.

I still have to do the mask, the top view and the details file. I will do that soon. I have been working on her for three days, and really wanted to get her posted.

Thank you for your interest

Brad Fallon
Sole Proprietor
Classical Drydock and Shipyard Co. Ltd.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice detail Very Happy
looks like a lot of work...
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bearsie,

I am still going to do some fine details on her, then shrink her down a bit. Of course, most of the nice details will be lost, but I will keep the bigger version posted here for others to appreciate.

Of course, the derrick ropes and antennas are too thick, but if I do them thinner they look like crap. They are also very difficult to do with the mask portion, which I have almost finished.

Of course, other than you, myself, and maybe a few others, most don't really seem to care. Sad
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few tricks, for instance drawing big and then shrinking will keep more details than drawing small.
Like I said, I make the background white and then use "invert" that way half the work for the mask is done,
not sure if that works in other programs. Since you can't do less than 1 pixels for lines and such another
trick is to either increase transparency for the lines or use medium grey instead of black and light gray instead of white
for the mask (lines only)
That way they look thinner, less obtrusive, this of course becomes only visible when the ship is in the game,
so sometimes I make a 2nd copy just to fiddle with ...
But I also have shading and transparency levels available in my program, not sure what other programs have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL User Made Ports, Goods, Vessels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: