Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fullscreen problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Sim3D II Discussion & Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yngvef
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Fullscreen problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought the game (Platinum) and have installed it. Everything works well in POCXXL.

In Sim3d II however, I have a problem: If I play in windowed mode, everything works fine (great framerates and everything). If I try to switch to fullscreen, the game minimizes to the taskbar (I can sometimes hear the normal clicking in the monitor like it's trying to switch resolution), and it's impossible to maximize again. I have to close the program with right-click. There are no error messages. The problem is that XXL seems to want to start Sim3d II in fullscreen mode, so it doesnt work.

I've read several other posts on the forum about this same thing, and I've tried:
- Setting antialiasing to off (both in the game and in the Nvidia Control panel)
- Setting different resolutions and frequencies (1024x768, 1280x1024 and 60-85hz). All these resolutions normally work on my monitor (CRT, not LCD obviously)
- I've even tried to experiment with the direct3d settings in the game, even if I don't know what they do.

So far, no luck.

XXL works fine in both windowed and fullscreen, and Sim3d II works only in windowed mode... Is it possible to force XXL to start sim3d II in windowed mode?

Please help Sad

My specs: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, GeForce 7800 GS (AGP-card), 2GB ram

My current Nvidia driver is: 178.13

My desktop resolution is: 1280x1024x32

I don't have problems in other games, but i usually play all of those in fullscreen.
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very strange with the card it should be not a problem,
is the driver the latest for nvidia ?
check for any other program running in background ? We had a problem with some audio driver checking the connection slots and minimizing applications from time to time for example (happens then to other full screen programs also ),.

I will provide an option in the next version to start in windowed modus also, try to click ALT-ENTER quickly after the program start
yngvef
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for a quick response.

The Nvidia driver is from september 2008. It has been very stable and fast, so I didn't want to change it right now.

I'll experiment a little with turning off background processes and will report later.

A possibility to play it windowed is at least better than not being able to play it as a part of XXL at all.
yngvef
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck unfortunately. Unless you have some other solution, I guess I have to wait until you give us the possibility to play Sim3d II in windowed mode (when launched from POCXXL).
yngvef
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of ideas.

The only solution i can think of (in my case anyway) is to create an option in POCXXL to start Sim3d II in windowed mode.

Is this possible?
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats what I will build into the program (some laptop users have problems with fullscreen due to memory problems also).
yngvef
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if i hit Alt-Enter just as Sim3D II starts I can maximize it again (to a window that fills the screen). It's very unpractical, but playable though

It'll have to do for now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Sim3D II Discussion & Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: