Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POC for iPad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call for iPhone and iPod touch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: POC for iPad? Reply with quote

Any chance we'll see a version released for the iPad? Smile
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed I now have an iPad for testing, but I dont assume have it ready this year - a pocxxl version wold be great for the large screen. The old iphone poc works on the ipad.
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great to see pocxxl made available for ipod users. Having moved to a mac I hardly ever play games on a desktop/laptop any more, it's all iphone (I bought my copy of poc via the Singapore appstore) & ipad nowadays. Smile
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now the development system is ready, Ipad is a challeng if we will do it right - just thinking about a general pocxxl relaunch (and recoding) -- for iPad we also have now the new unity3d development system running which might help
Melaure
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdklein wrote:
now the development system is ready, Ipad is a challeng if we will do it right - just thinking about a general pocxxl relaunch (and recoding) -- for iPad we also have now the new unity3d development system running which might help

Great news, because you forgot Mac Users with Poc XXL ...
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt forgot , I am also in the mac developer program now - big plans for xxl - great news as the itune now also works for mac users.
Melaure
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdklein wrote:
didnt forgot , I am also in the mac developer program now - big plans for xxl - great news as the itune now also works for mac users.

So finally good news in the way Very Happy

I will buy the Mac version as soon it is available. Or the iPad one, if I buy one this year (interested in development too but it will depend of the software company where I work).
Janacek
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdklein wrote:
now the development system is ready, Ipad is a challeng if we will do it right - just thinking about a general pocxxl relaunch (and recoding) -- for iPad we also have now the new unity3d development system running which might helpipad 2 smart cover

ipad2 stand ipad2 keyboard

rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time passes by quickly, we try to get poc on also the android platform at the same time (unity 3d allows this), for the new 3.0 versions -- but it really takes time as I cannot work fulltime on it.
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how time flies and we still keep coming back to the classic games that we love and would still load up and play even today. Smile

I keep thinking of the ipad because it's easier to play on than a phone and it has a screen ratio that is more similar to 4:3 than the iphone screen, so it seems ideal for retro games.

Time and resources are always major constraints, but maybe it's possible to find a fan who is capable of transferring the old game to the ipad in return for a credit on the load screen or something like that?

I know it's a big ask of someone to dedicate so much of their free, unpaid time for this, but maybe someone is a huge fan and would be keen to do this as a hobby?
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope after such a time I get the iPad, Iphone running again, have to rewrite the whole code to kotlin, but now I own a new iMac which helps .
Conrad
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking that porting the game to the iPad (iOS) could also be a stepping-stone to a completely new game of the same genre and general idea, but with modern-day graphics, more scenarios and missions to guide ships manually (and perform other tasks), etc.

I would still base it on two main principles: 1) keeping it simple: definitely still 2D and a casual game to play (not an over-complicated technical/economical simulation) 2) longevity: ensure it remains fun to play in the long term.

Monetising could be done via ship packs or new ports, possibly scenario packs.

For a more complicated game design you could also make it a progression through the years/ages, starting from the 50's or 60's and then moving forward to when modern shipping started to develop after containers became standardised, and then slowly advancing to the 21 century and beyond (with futuristic ship designs and power units).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> Ports Of Call for iPhone and iPod touch All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: