Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do YOU do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pengolodh_sc
PoC Frequent Visitor
Platinum Licensee
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings unto the board.

Am student of naval architecture, aged 26, hailing from the presently less than warm land of Norway.

I first saw Ports of call at friends who had Amigas (I nver had one myself). Then, many years later, I found the website of R.D. Klein, and downloaded the then free POC, and I paly it frequently at school - they have a version of Windows NT4.0 where POC works wonderfully, and it's the only place where I can run POC under DOS - I prefer that when possible, as the emulator is rather slow. Now, sadly, they're replacing NT4.0 with XP, so those days will soon be over for me.

I hvae now progressed to POC XXL, and like it so much that I purchased the Platinum Licence. Am presently the proud owner of Compagnie Generale Terrentrienne de Transatlantique, which after two years of operation possesses 12 La Belle France-type liners, and has recently purchased six brand new Finnjet-type liners, with a cash-reserve still of 20.7 Mill USD (151 Mill. USD before buying the Finnjets).
Dolor medicatur
Puellae cicatrices amant
Gloria in aeternum durat
Borrowed (and now corrected) from the SCA-heraldry-list
Tobinz
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Who am I Reply with quote

I am a 26 year old law student. Finished my first examination in Bayreuth in southern Germany earlier this year and am currently at Victoria University in Wellington (New Zealand). Razz

Besides studies I enjoy life here as good as possible and also find some time to play POC. I am really pleased that the new versions are out now. I started many years ago with pocgerm on my first PC - but on the later PCs the speed of the game was too high. So I did not play for a while.

But it's all coming back to me now Wink
Federal Venture
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Me i'm 18 years old.I come from Canada(Rimouski) and presently i am studiing to becom a naval architect Smile I have discover poc a long time ago and i always enjoy playing this game.

FV
frank47_1999
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: My turn Reply with quote

Everyone is too young here!. I'm 50 years old. Born on the island of Malta
Our house looked over the dockyard thus I was 'cargo ship spotting' before I could even walk. I was taught to swim in the harbour in between the cargo ships and the tug boats
My grandfather use to be one of the overhead gantry operators in the dockyard. My father was one of the signwriters doing 'warning' signs on the ships
I was introduced to POC in 1987 whilst working at the Melbourne Australia wharfs as a fork lift operator. Great game
A.Bijker
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: What do You do Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Finally I'm one line so I can join the gang. Wink
I totally agree with you frank47_1999, everyone here is too young. Laughing
I'm 59 although i do occasiononally have periodes that I feel like 18
I'm a techical guy who is comfortebly joining his retirement.
Playes poc for ages (unregistered DOS version) but decided that this product of RDK earned as many support we can give, so I registered first gold and later platinum. Big thanx RDK!! keep up whith the good work, counts for everyone: developement as well as forum

Hope to be able to add a little with some helpful things in the future if possible at all that is.

Greetz and happy and prosper poccing

Arie
Tommi
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would post some lines as well.

22 year old male from Sweden, who currently lives in Finland (will move back to Sweden at the end of this month). Me and my father used to play the POC classic (Unregistered version) on the 486 PC, back in the old MS-DOS days. Now I know better, and use Linux, but still haven't bought me a real POC license. Smile I will do that really soon though, that's a promise. Looks like I'm the only cheap bastard in here that doesn't own a license. Embarassed

Ohh.. and I used to work as a Linux / Unix adminstrator for a ISP in Finland...
beardman
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I'm 41 years old and an IT consultant. Though I have been sailing in an earlier life for about 6 years.
I have been playing POC for as long as I can remember, "ofcourse" like most of us an unregesterd version. But now I bought a platinum version because I have been waiting for a update for years. So please RDK keep the momentum going. Laughing

Bart
bobed35
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 46 year old computer software project manager living in Newport Beach, California (south of Los Angeles.) My maritime experience is 4 years doing computer work while living on cruise ships, mostly in the Caribbean. I have also done some volunteer tall ship work.

I just found POC and really enjoy it.
WJT
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello......
I`m Willem-Jan. 27 year old male. I used to play POC-classic at a friends place (no have computer) Now years later I`m playing POC for real, Because I became a Mariner. I`m sailing as a officer for a dutch-english container company. This company hires fully integrated officers, so I`m working in the Engineroom as a Engineer AND on the bridge as a Mate. I`m already looking for Ports of Call the classic version a long time, but lately I found THE greatest version XXL and 3D, now I`m a Platninum user. 3D is very realistic and looks like the simulation programmes used to train officers and captains. RDK thanx

Greetings Willem-Jan Rolling Eyes

Visit My maritime Website, with links and photo`s http://www.wjtdevries.org
Red Dragon
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Jo Ho! Reply with quote

Hoi Chummers!

I am a 26 years old front-end developer (Web programmer) from Hamburg in Germany. It is not very easy to grow up here without recognizing at least one large ship, so I recognized some of them Very Happy

I fear I have to tell you something catastrophic: I had a legally payed version of PoC on the Amiga! ("Guten Tag Frewd Aegis, dies ist Ihr Spiel!")
My Amiga went dead some years ago, but I found an .adf on back2roots so it was not lost.

A week ago now a friend mailed to me. Subject was:"LOOK AT THIS!!!" and the text was: "www.portsofcall.de". I browsed the page for 1 or two minutes, mailed back "I WANT to have THAT", now my friend and I have both a platinum licence.
To be honest, we both had our licence BEFORE we downloaded the game itself! Laughing

Very great. In 1989 I first played PoC, and now, nearly 14 Years later, I play PoC again!

Greetz from Hamburg,
Red Dragon

If nobody ever dreams, mankind still lived in caves
Ule
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a 36 year old male from born in Haren Ems in the northwestern part of germany near the dutch border. This town is rather small but we have abt 200 seaships registered there. I come out of a sailors family and my current job made me moving to the town of Emden. I work as a seapilot now and enjoy my job very much. I bought a plartinum license because I like supporting the work for such a good simulation.
Greetings Uli
MS "Bacoliner 3"
MS "Santa Helena"
MS "Santa Maria"
MS "Hansa Lübeck"
MS "Maersk Hong Kong"
MS "Ville de Carina"
MS "Hansa Stockholm"
MS "Hansa Clipper"
MS "Emstal"
MS "Rheintal"
varming
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a computer science and math student at the universitet of Copenhagen, Denmark.
As a computer science student I must say I really would like to help out on the programming side. It really could bee fun helping out making a multiplayer server. Cool

I first saw POC when I was twelve. And what a cool game it was.
Back then we where boys and didn't think of owership and licenses'. Thats why I imediately bought the platinum license when I could. Well it could only bee a great game. Thats how impressed I was over the original.

I must say I have waited a long time for this to come. I think I wrote RDK around 96 and got the sad answer that there where no plans on making a new POC. But I guess he changed his mind. GREAT.
Manfred
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
seems I'm an old workhorse here. Age 55, in Tramp Shipping since 32 years (mainly drycargo but also fixing tankers). Working now in the shipping divison of a big trading company (grains , oilseeds, vegoils).
Played POC on the first DOS machine many years ago. Purchased the
present Platinum edition for our company (to train the guys in their free time Very Happy ).
Have have everybody, and lets assist the developpers to make the game as exiting as shipping is in real life.
thks / brgds
Manfred
Jessi
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm female (seems like I was the only female who has answered yet Smile ) and I'm 20 years old. I live in Bingen, Germany. That's about 60 kilometers from Frankfurt/Main. At the moment I'm learning (not studying) "Fachinformatiker", something like programmer. In June next year I'll have my final exams.
I played POC some years ago on my PC. Some weeks ago I 'discovered' this page and was very happy that there will be a new version of this great game. Very Happy
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jessi,

Welcome to the POC forum! I think you are right, you are the only woman so far that I know of that posts here. It would be great to have a woman's perspective on some of the issues we are discussing here!

It is surprising that there are not more women here. I would think that POC would be as attractive to men, as to women. Young and old for that matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: