Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do YOU do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJBK
PoC Frequent Visitor
Platinum Licensee
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Well,...
My name is Sebastiaan Keijmel, I'm 22 years old and I'm studying in Vlissingen (the netherlands) for Maritime Officer. I Live in Breskens a village just across the river Schelde. And I said as little boy when I was 3 years old that I will become captain a an ocean going vessel.
I first saw POC when I was 12 years,..a friend of my had the game on his computer. Ever sinds I play POC.
Now I've already sailed one year on a gascarrier at anthony veder (www.anthonyveder.nl) And still this is the best game ever in shipping.
Keep the game sailing the waves.

grtz.
Sebastiaan (DJBK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Exxon Valdez
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 19, male, Danish and studying at high school at the moment. Been a little into POC classic as i found it on a abandonware site. I play POC XXL a lot even though I'm still saving for a licence. (I hope i get a platinum for x-mas Smile).
Marinus
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I am 26 years old and from Denmark.

I have been playing POC classic for more than 10 years. I just learned about POC XXL for about a month ago and bought a gold licence right away. I will upgrade to platin when I get a faster computer capable of running 3Dsim, it really kick some ass.

Great to find a game worth playing in my sparetime (i am a navigator and engineer onboard a oceangoing containervessel with a official capacity of 6.600 TEU)
daniel jackson
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings!

I am 53 this 12 December. I have sailed since I was 6 and starting going to sea with my father when I was 15. My father was a Master Mariner and the Curator of Maritime History at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. I attended the US maritime academy for 8 months, but decided to follow a less glorious path as a Sociologist, university professor, and an ordinary seaman. I did acquire a 100 ton masters license for auxillary sail in 1985 and keep it current.

I came across POC while doing a search for vessel simulators for PC operations. I have been on larger versions, such as the one at the University of Hamburg or radar simulators in New York, but I wanted one that would help me keep my hand and eye coordination in shape for my next renewal. I found POC last spring and immediately bought the Platinum license on a principle given to me by an old sea buddy who is a chief engineer at Sea Land--quality work is done with quality tools. Even in the DOS mode, it was clear that POC rivaled the great simulators of our day.

Now, I have the BETA, I log in an hour a day, six days a week, doing harbor work. The kinetic feel is excellent--too bad we cannot use multiple monitors for a true panoramic effect.

Smooth sailing.
frank47_1999
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Daniel,

Happy birthday, mate.

(See me on the previous page)
Frank47_1999
Vic
Australia
CatD399
PoC Veteran
Gold Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Gold Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My turn to test these waters I guess...

I'm a 27 year old male from Ste-Therese, Quebec (Canada), and I've been working as a marine engineer for the past five years. My first crack at POC was on a 486. It was real fun but I later forgot about it when I realized it wouldn't run on more powerful cpus; until now. Keep up the good work!

2005 Update: the Cummins V12-525M takes the crown...what a piece of junk!!!
PCuliar
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Name is Thorben Schulte and at present I spend some time (2 years) on lessons to become a certificate that makes me a developer 4 softwareapplications.
.Me is 27 Jears. (28 in Feb03)
I know the old poc because my neighbour had an amiga.

some other hobbies (not only coding and wife all the day) are ham-radio and creating electronic music.
perhaps I should improve my English :~/
Ron
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'am Ron and i'am 36 years old, i work on a factory and we make there gearboxes for small-middle great ships and some industrie, i always like this game on my amiga and the new xxl version is a very great game to play.

Grtz Ron
Robi
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moin,

I've been reading through half of the replies so far and did not find somebody that actually works as a broker yet.
Well, I don't either, but I guess I am on my way.

I am 22 years old and work as a ship broker's trainee in Hamburg.
The company is Hamburg Süd (Columbus Line/Alianca/Ellermann) and so far the training is far more interesting than this game, but since poc is "just a beta" I believe there is hope. Smile

Rob
ODB
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great start of 2003 Laughing Exclamation

Some ten years ago I was addicted to the original PoC (which I bought *legally* as it was part of a software package my dad received when he bought our first PC, a Commodore XT10...) and spent hours behind that monochrome 14inch screen. Time doesn't stand still and since one year and a half I've become a player in the maritime world myself. As a management trainee for the AP Moller Group I've had and still have the opportunity to learn the ropes of the maritime industry and I have to admit: I'm addicted Wink .
My professional experience is, besides the courses in different maritime related subjects, mainly limited to Safmarine Container Lines located in Antwerp where I have been working for both the FCL and LCL trade to/from Africa and South America.
Furthermore I've spent some time onboard one of Maersksealand's newest vessels, m/v Charlotte Maersk, when it sailed from Yokohama to Singapore as part of my traineeship.

from RDK:::
SORRY --image deleted we are not allowed to use original MAERSK SHIP IMAGES FROM MAERSK sites IN OUR GAME ETC ... --- -- got an explicite note from Antwerpen and the german office last year !! -- due to copyrights. .images from Maersk (copyrighted by Maersk) are general forbidden in the context of computer games---
end censor from RDK

Have a nice day and enjoy PoC XXL/3D!
clarkedrew
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Year end round up... Reply with quote

Hi peeps,

I thought that now that it's been just over three months since I started this thread, and it's the end of the year, it would be a good time for a synopsis so far.

The vast majority of users seem to be between mid teens (old enough to remember the original POC) and their mid thirties, with some outlyers over 40 years old. Firstly, I would put this down to the popularity of POC the original, as again most seem to state that they've at least heard of, if not played the original on an Amiga (legally or not! Twisted Evil ). The outlyers prove however, that the game has the ability to draw in the wider audience.

I would also point out that most people (with the odd exception; which includes me) work in the shipping industry as one thing or another;
charterer, builder, designer, crew-person, dock-worker etc. This is unsurprising, given the nature of the game! Very Happy

The last point that I'd like to raise is that where stated as far as I can gather, there is a vast majority of male players to female. I suppose the appeal is more male orientated (though please no letters telling me I'm a --- pig... I already know! Twisted Evil )

Anyway, keep the replies flooding in people, RDK and the POC team need your input.

Cheers all, and I wish you all happy gaming in the year to come.

clarkedrew
JoWall
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: What do I do... Reply with quote

28 - from Nashville TN

Now a filmmaker. Played POC classic on the Amiga when I was young.

Great game - can't wait to see the finished product of XXL and am enjoying the evolution.
Tommas
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Hi guys! Reply with quote

30 years, played PoC many years ago on the Amiga. Daytime job is chartering manager in a parcelling service, doing various steel and breakbulk cargoes.

My work is so fun I even enjoy doing it in PoC in the evenings, keep up the good work Smile
Silfver
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei POC People

I'm 23 years old and I don't have anything to do with ships or boats. I just like Business games. Sad

I'm a student at Turku Polythecnic in Finland. Confused

I found POC from home of the underdog when searching for business games. I noted that the game is under development and people can participate in the process.
Razz Razz
I got exited and bought the Platinum lisense.
Webster
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm a student from holland. I'm 21. I study Car Technology in Arnhem.
In the weekends you can find me in Delfzijl, where my parents live. (Ragnar has a photo of the dock in the port of Delfzijl.) I have nothing to do with the shipping buisiness. (Although, I know one retired captain) A few years ago I accidentaly saw the site of Rolf. I searched it for a while en I discovered poc classic and downloaded it. I was hooked right away. Now I play poc xxl. (Don't have a liscense, but will come soon.) I really like the game, (Don't we all?) And I hope it will be a huge succes.

Nothing more to say I guess. (If you have anything to ask, feel free)

Webster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: