Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scrap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL User Made Ports, Goods, Vessels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANR
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Scrap Reply with quote

I have copied some harbors, from Bearsies site, and i have discovered, that there is a cargo called scrap, or something like that. What is that.
Maybe its some german languege, but i djont know. Can someone please tell me, what it is please. By the way, i cant find that cargo, on Bearsies site, unless its called something else. Smile
mooringman
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,scrap is old iron,used and damaged.like old cars and vessels.in these days they call it sometimes recycled metall and it is a good cargo for a ships owner,because the shippers pay a good freight.also scrap is a very expensive stuff in these days,lots of steel factories need scrap to make new steel.buying and selling scrap is a good business in these days,especially the chinese market needs a lot of scrap.brgds mooringman
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap (english) Schrott [Alteisen] (german) Schroot (nederlands) Klut (norsk)
gamle jern (nydansk) Wink lap, pjalt (danish)

There you go, italian and such on request Laughing

<good>
<index>50</index>
<warenname>Schrott</warenname>
<startjahr>1910</startjahr>
<frachtcode>50</frachtcode>
<ertragprotag>45</ertragprotag>
<auftrittwahrscheinlichkeit>65</auftrittwahrscheinlichkeit>
<teutyp>800</teutyp>
<tonperteu>25</tonperteu>
<terminwahrscheinlichkeit>0</terminwahrscheinlichkeit>
<korrisionsfaktor>1</korrisionsfaktor>
<bildname>good60</bildname>
<containertype>0</containertype>
<brennbar>0</brennbar>
<explosiv>0</explosiv>
<radioaktiv>0</radioaktiv>
<infektioes>0</infektioes>
<handelkrit>0</handelkrit>
<allgemeine_beschreibung>-</allgemeine_beschreibung>
</good>
Cattleya
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee
PoC Regular<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bearsie.

Saw your translation for scrap... Just a little correction for the danish one´s, regular scrap is called, Skrot. Then there is, i dont really know how to call it, but it is "fabricated" scrap, run through some kind of mill, and then it is called Shredder, which is small pieces of clean iron. then at last there´s some kind of fabric of the Shredder scrap, called 10 inch iron, which is bigger pieces of scrap, used for melting into new iron. But the Shredder scrap also is used for direct melting.

So 3 different kinds of scrap, and regular scrap, old cars, refrigirators and so on, is the ligthest, shredder scrap i assume if you would fill a 10 liter bucket, it would probably weigh between 15 and 20 kg. and the 10 inch iron, migth be a little heavier.
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cattleya wrote:
Hi Bearsie.

Saw your translation for scrap... Just a little correction for the danish one´s, regular scrap is called, Skrot. Then there is, i dont really know how to call it, but it is "fabricated" scrap, run through some kind of mill, and then it is called Shredder, which is small pieces of clean iron. then at last there´s some kind of fabric of the Shredder scrap, called 10 inch iron, which is bigger pieces of scrap, used for melting into new iron. But the Shredder scrap also is used for direct melting.

So 3 different kinds of scrap, and regular scrap, old cars, refrigirators and so on, is the ligthest, shredder scrap i assume if you would fill a 10 liter bucket, it would probably weigh between 15 and 20 kg. and the 10 inch iron, migth be a little heavier.

Skrot sounds similar to "Schrott" Smile
Steel is 6.9 times heavier than water.
and yes a friend of mine is a scrap dealer (metals only) and there are quite a few different, very specific kinds of scrap.
And that is before you get into textile and plastic and all that...
I only made generic scrap since there was none.
It is a little bit like Agricultural Products, which is one of the original freights, that covers a lot of different products too.
Strictly speaking, Wine, Beer, Grain, Frozen meat and all that would come under that. I made those mainly for specific harbors.
Now I have added Kaolin (china clay) Onions and potatos for Ireland, Sweden and Delfzijl, oh and salt for Portugal.
Iron ore was just for Narvik (and Brazil)
If we added all possible freight to every harbor it would take the computer an hour to load the freight screen Rolling Eyes

I actually take more freight out of the game than I put in...
It is more that I like certain harbors to have "Their" own freight
Now I have one harbor that ships frozen Pommes Frites (french fries) Wink
NZLPilot
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the ships I sailed on were scrap so does that make for a double scrap cargo? Very Happy
New Plymouth (Port Taranaki) does scrap but its so infrequent I wouldn't add it to the cargo list.
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, scrap metal, along with waste paper and other "to be recycled" products are not considered good cargo. The freight rates for these products are very low. Most times, it moves in containers, but these days, most steamship lines are refusing scrap. Shippers very often overload the containers in order to maximise their profits. Secondly, scrap is very hard on the containers themselves, and often break through the container walls. It is also difficult to balance scrap in a container, and it is often so dirty, that containers need to be steam-cleaned before being reused.

Scrap is accepted in some trade lanes, in order to get some revenue to return the empty containers back to a major importing area. Other times, other cheap commodities such as hay or malt are moved.

For instance, a 40' container from Shanghai to Vancouver costs about US$3200. The freight rate for that same 40' container from Vancouver back to Shanghai with hay is priced around US$700. Of course, there is far more container traffic going into Canada from the Far East, than going out of Canada to the Far East. Rather than send the containers back empty, at least the line gets a $700 rate.
corne_mo
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that exact same reason there is also a lot of scrap transported from europe to the far east using containers. I've seen quite ridiculous things happen. Trucks bringing scrap from deep in Russia to the port of Rotterdam (Netherlands) where it is being sqeezed in a container (the container is set straight up, filled all the way) and gets shipped to the far east.
mooringman
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally you don't load scrap in containers.it is just to fill up the empties.but in these days all recycling cargo like scrap,waste paper and recycling woodships have good freight rates in coasters and also bulkcarriers for far east shipment.recycled material is in these days a good busines and i know some companies which made a lot of money especially with scrap after the german reunion and the breakdown of the soviet union.but it is also a business for special people,if you know what i mean.i carried a lot of scrap first from uk to spain,later from germany,baltic countries,poland and russia to norway and spain also from russia to rotterdam and germany as feeder cargo for far east shipment.and there are a lot of different kinds of scrap cargo in volume and weight.there was a lot of ship owners they refused to carry scrap in former times because of the possible damage of her vessels during loading/discharging operations,but other companies earned good money with these bad cargo.brgds mooringman
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooringman,

I didn't know about the good rates for bulkers and coasters. I have only just started to play the game again after a long hiatus. I am not sure if the game makes much of a distinction between containerisable freight, and bulk freight. If not, it should.
Cattleya
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Scrap.... Reply with quote

Hi there...
I can see that you guys picked up an old discussion again Wink

Well i do believe that i migth know a bit to the market of scrap, cause i am Chief Officer onboard a coaster which is employed in the scrap market, and only scrap... Normally we load Format ( Old cars to refrigerators, all the shit you guy throw out, meaning all kinds of "unfabricated" scrap), we load it in forexample, Aalborg, Frederikshavn, Kĝbenhavn, Landskrona, Bremen, Hamburg, Aarhus, Grenaa, etc scandinavian ports only, and all that we discharge in Odense, to a danish company callled H.j Hansen, when the scrap is on the quay, it is trown into at big mill, which "nukes" it, and the finished material called Schredder, is then put into a medium sized barge and then moved to the Lindĝ terminal, with at small tug.
We usually load between 850- 1000 tonnes every 2nd day, (format).

Then there is Heavy iron, og 10th iron as it also is called, which means that the iron is maximum 1 meter in overall length. We pick that up in the above mentioned harbours, and sometimes in southern norway, or west sweden. This scrap is discharged at the Lindĝ Terminal as well.
every month a medium sized bulkcarrier arrives at the lindĝ terminal, and picks up about 30000 tonnes of either 10th iron or schredder, and they discharge in either Far east or Gulf of mexico, but mostly Far east.

At the moment we are two vessels who are employed in that market, so do the math... There is a lot of scrap for recycling. And the prices at sky high, so my Boss is a very happy man at the moment... But if you wanna see the ship etc. Go to my website www. sailors-grave.dk ---> under pictures series, and then press M/s Rebecca Rousing Gallery, that my current ship, and there are some pictures of the ship, cargo and so on...
So i hope you all understood my point.

Best rgds

Cattleya
Cattleya
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Mooringman Reply with quote

Oh yeah by the way, a saw Mooringman was from Lübeck... Smile Saturday the 14/4-2007 I am going to muster there onboard my ship... Just a little info...

Cheers
maltonmanor
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly in coasters, scrap is a staple and stable trade.

I have brought this up before, and will do so again, for what little good it does. I think the basic engine running this game is great. But, what bothers me is that the entire game is unrealistic. Most of the ships featured are container ships, but they are running around in the game acting like tramps. As Cattelya mentions, his coaster is contracted out on a steady trade route. His ship is not running all over the world picking up electronic goods and cattle etc.

Although 3 years ago when the game was just beginning to be designed, there seemed to be a desire by the designers to make it realistic. Today, this game is to the shipping industry, what Monopoly is to the Real Estate industry!!
Cattleya
PoC Regular
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maltonmanor wrote:
Certainly in coasters, scrap is a staple and stable trade.

I have brought this up before, and will do so again, for what little good it does. I think the basic engine running this game is great. But, what bothers me is that the entire game is unrealistic. Most of the ships featured are container ships, but they are running around in the game acting like tramps. As Cattelya mentions, his coaster is contracted out on a steady trade route. His ship is not running all over the world picking up electronic goods and cattle etc.

Although 3 years ago when the game was just beginning to be designed, there seemed to be a desire by the designers to make it realistic. Today, this game is to the shipping industry, what Monopoly is to the Real Estate industry!!

I need to say, thatyou are rigth about that... I do believe that it has been brought up before, why it can´t be possible to make som routes theships are following, like Ro/ro ships rarely goes around the globe, picking up any kind of goods which fit into a trailer or a MAFI. They go on specific routes.
The only thing I need to correct is that onboard my ship it is a kind like tramp, cause we do not have at schedule to follow. We just go around to the harbours i have mentioned before.

But again containerships do not go in tramp. I only think they WW certified coasters and the large bulkcarriers are going tramp these days.

Take the small tankers, they are in tramp but only in specified areas, Like North Europe, Mediterrainium (Spell error I Know) Wink Middle east and far east and so on, on of my friends is 2nd engineer, (God have mercy on his soul) Very Happy onboard a medium sized tanker and they are employed in South Europe to North America ONLY... Nothing else... So RDK give us some tools to send our ships out where they belong... on specified routes... Or maybe it would be nice to have the option, to pick out maybe up to 10-12 harbours they schould serve on, so a liner division and a tramp division, that would be amazing
mooringman
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cattleya,just saw you will be today in lübeck with your vessel.wonder which berth you are,at "Hennings" or at "Lehmann 3".guess the rebecca will get some scrap.i know the "rebecca rousing",seen her very often in danish waters.couple of years ago we were loading scrap with our vessel at the lindö terminal in odense ,abt. 2700 tons to rotterdam,waalhaven.2005 i was in odense with a tug,we were standby there for some hours waiting for a job on the new maersk containervessel at the shipyard together with svitzer tugs. have a good trip,brgds mooringman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL User Made Ports, Goods, Vessels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: