Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arie Zwart
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Starting year Reply with quote

Hallo all,

This is a old topic, but i like to bring it on one time more.
Hopefully RDK will change it.
Now with the new addons input, i think it is also time to change the starting year.
The earliest now you can start is 1975.
But i think RCK must change this.

Maybe to 1960.
Or some other year.
So tell it here, so RDK will know what we like,
and hope fully he will change it.

Regards,
Arie Zwart.
SVW-Gigant
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed
PoC Frequent Visitor<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your question in this, we can all understand English too Wink

http://www.rdkleinforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=3118
PoC Regular
Unlicensed
PoC Regular<br>Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
SVW-Gigant wrote:

Please post your question in this, we can all understand English too Wink

http://www.rdkleinforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=3118

But not all of us understand german Wink and the auto translators are not that great. It has been brought up many times actually this topic.

I would like a start year around the 1920's - 1950's, BUT there is a HUGE issue!!! It will mean that MANY ports will need to have their items changed, or taken out of the game, since they may have not even existed.

Simple example. 2 ports that I have published, have had textiles as a MAJOR export, those were Patra & Ermoupoli in Greece. They were major industries until the mid-late 1980's. My Unpublished port (undergoing testing at the moment) of Betio - Kiribati (Pacific Ocean), use to have very large deposits of Phosphate, of which now are exhusted, until the late 1970's, not to mention that it was known with another name back then, that is the country Wink.

Also, another example would be many if not alot of African countries and some Middle eastern countries had different names! An example would be Palaistine, currently Israel. Congo anyone... or India, lets see... it is now 3 countries, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh! Also many Carribean and South American countries too!

This would mean alot of research, and re-structuring the xml files for freight availability years and expirations, Name changes of ports, new ports, old ports removed etc...

But yes, I would like to have an earlier start year, even to the start of the 1900's. Use some steam boats & sail boats.

Currently, as the game is, there should be added extra tags in the xml file of harbours to have goods expire or start, for those that like playing a 'pure' game wiht starting years. It is not only the ships in the game.

Well, I hope that has put some thoughts to people to think more about an earlier start year, the realism will not be there, readily available. Hmmm.... even changing pictures depending on the period that you are playing would be great too, to be seeing when you are in a harbour.

If there is an EASY way to implament the changes in the game, to change country names, currencies, cargo, add/ remove ports, I am up there, with my hand up, to give an assistance if I can, with port history if I can find it.

For the original ports in the game, that would be a good 2-3 months flat, without doing ANYTHING else for the game, and just trying to get all the items and port history and size etc, and then again, there will not be enough info for all the ports going so far back...

Just my thoughts anyway.
SVW-Gigant
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you start before 1950, ist no longe realistic with the office costs, feul costs and repair costs...
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Start Year Reply with quote

1950 seems ok, it avoid quite a few issues versus an earlier start date.
On the other hand this is a Game after all, it does not need to be correct and up to date on every little detail that may have changed over time.
For instance, Rostock was not part of the Bundesrepublik in 1975.
Nor was there a port in the Baltic called St. Petersburg. Razz
In my game there isn't, I renamed it Leningrad, just because I can Laughing
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes change of the start year is not the big problem, but maybe we make this available onyl if there are some flags in the addons,
otherwise NEW users try out a eary start year and dont have ships --
for the year dependance habours I have some ideaes in the 3d file I started implementing objects which can appear or disapear (example new york will get this...),
but also the harbour shapes need attributes - there we have do more -- but this is a feature I like very much...
SVW-Gigant
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For such people, the 3dsim is not very important to use this feature (for me too), I prefer the "fast drive", use also no 2dsim because of no time and photo realistic harbours.
Skylines of New York, Tokyo or Shanghai are extreme examples, so you can not perfectly release a 3dII sim town for 1950, 1975 or 2000 AD. For me, its not an "optic" problem to set the start year to 1950:)

So, soviel zur Englisch-Stunde Very Happy
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ut if you start before 1950, ist no longe realistic with the office costs, feul costs and repair costs...

we have some time dependancy on the cost already, but I have to check also for the earlier dates so it still works (maybe someone can tell me a typical cost of fuel for example this will help to adjust,
Bearsie
PoC Regular
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Fuel Reply with quote

Between 1960 and 1966 Bunker Gasoil was around 60 DM a ton.
Heavy Fueil Oil was accordingly cheaper.Those were prices we paid in Hamburg and the Kiel-Kanal for instance
Post war prices were rather stable until the first Oil crisis of 1973 at which time prices jumped roughly 4 times, at least temporarly.
Before 73 a barrel of crude oil was about 3 Dollars.

Zwischen 1960 and 1966 Bunker Gasoil (Diesel) war so um 60 Mark die Tonne. Schweröl war entsprechend billiger.
Das waren Preise die wir zum Beispiel in Hamburg und dem Kiel-Kanal bezahlt haben.
Die Nachkriegspreise waren ziemlich stabil bis zur ersten Oelkrise in 1973
wenn der Preis sich über Nacht fast vervierfacht hatte.
Vor 73 war das Fass Erdöl etwa 3 Dollar.
SVW-Gigant
PoC Frequent Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Dollar das Fass? Heftig, jetzt ists schon 3-stellig gehandelt teilweise Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: