Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newcomer Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Admiral
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Newcomer Question Reply with quote

Hi, new forum member here and old-time player of the original Ports of Call on the Amiga. (Yes, I had a legitimate, store-bought copy. Still have it, as a matter of fact, but no more Amiga.)

I'm considerably confused by the various downloadable versions of the new PoC that are apparently available, so I would just like to know whether a boxed version is available. I've seen screenshots of what appears to be a boxed version of the game, here. (Not sure if that's a legit website offering the downloads.)

I'm not really interested in downloading any version of the game. I just don't do game downloads, except for patches of course, and perhaps add-ons.

So that's my question - is a boxed version available?

EDIT: I just noticed that the above link does not always work properly, so here is the picture of the boxed version of PoC that I'm referring to:

Last edited by Lost Admiral on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christian Todt
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know does rdklein prepare an international version of the game on the website, you looked at (the site doesn't look verly legaly to me). But i don't know, when it will be released.

I would recommend you the Platinum license, which i have myself.
you can buy that license from rdk and then legally download the
xxl part (economic part) and the PoC sim 3dII (3d berthing sim) from
his website. As far as i know rdklein also delivers personalized CDs
to Platinum users.

the best is to write him a pm or e-mail.

Greetings,

CT
Lost Admiral
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian Todt wrote:

the best is to write him a pm or e-mail.

CT

OK, but I'll wait just a bit because I think he may just read this, as I see his posts all over this forum.
I'm thinking I might not be the only person wondering about a boxed version of the game.

Another question, while I'm at it: If I were to download the game, would I be able to burn it to disc and play it at any time in the future, like any other store-bought, boxed game, or is there some kind of licensing copy protection that limits the number of installs or some such?
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poc 2008 deluxe international should be out in the stores,
but this is a seperate development made for astragon.

I would sugest to keep on the main line of poc, e.g. poc platinum.

Yes you can burn the downloaded files to a cdrom and reinstall using the license key anytime. Its bound to your name and email not to the computer.
Lost Admiral
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdklein wrote:
poc 2008 deluxe international should be out in the stores,
but this is a seperate development made for astragon.

Yet another different version? Frankly, this is sounding more and more ridiculous.

Quote:
Yes you can burn the downloaded files to a cdrom and reinstall using the license key anytime. Its bound to your name and email not to the computer.

What do you mean it is "bound to" my "name and email"?
Does it have some sort of registration number that I can write on the CD itself that will always let me install the game, or not? I don't want to be "bound" to anything once I buy the game, because I buy games, I don't rent them. Get my drift?
corne_mo
PoC Veteran
Platinum Licensee
PoC Veteran<br>Platinum Licensee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different versions of PoC:
- poc 2008 Deluxe (the boxed one from Astragon). It's a 3D-only version. See it's dedicated forum for more info.

- poc XXL: Which is the "old" Amiga version, including 2D simulation. See for more info.
And this can be used in combination with:
- PoC Sim3D II. Which is a 3D simulation only.

The second and third version can be bought online only, and need a text file which include license info. You'll get that file by e-mail and can be burned onto the CD-ROM together with the installation files. Whenever you install PoC XXL simply copy the content of the textfile to the clipboard and start PoC. The license will be found automatically.
As long as you don't loose the text file you can install PoC whenever you want.
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you include the setuppocxxl.exe installer in the directory pocxxl/ on the cdrom the license file is automatically installed from the cdrom, you need to name it poc.lic and place it in the root of the cdrom,
also pocsim3dii etc. then is automatically activated after installing (place them in a directory pocsim3dii for example.

The license code is too long to be written on the cdrom label, but the 4-5 digit sn can be written on top, so just inc ase we can resent the license file if something goes wrong.
Lost Admiral
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corne_mo wrote:
The different versions of PoC:
- poc 2008 Deluxe (the boxed one from Astragon). It's a 3D-only version. See it's dedicated forum for more info.

- poc XXL: Which is the "old" Amiga version, including 2D simulation. See for more info.
And this can be used in combination with:
- PoC Sim3D II. Which is a 3D simulation only.

Well, I'm still confused. PoC Sim3D II is a 3D simulation only? So in other words, I get to pilot a ship from the point of view of the captain looking out the windows? Is there no business model, like in the old PoC that had the rotatable globe, the world map, the buying/selling of ships, etc.?

Quote:
The second and third version can be bought online only, and need a text file which include license info. You'll get that file by e-mail and can be burned onto the CD-ROM together with the installation files. Whenever you install PoC XXL simply copy the content of the textfile to the clipboard and start PoC. The license will be found automatically.
As long as you don't loose the text file you can install PoC whenever you want.

Well, it sounds like once I have the license number, I'm good to go from that point on.

On the one hand, I'm sorry I copped an attitude yesterday, but this is without doubt the most confusing game developer website I've ever been to. At this point, I only have the vaguest idea of the differences between the many versions of this game.
Oh, and then there is yet another separate stereo license for Poc Sim3D II? WTF????
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but making me jump through what seems like a half-dozen fiery hoops ain't gonna cut it.

ps - one more thing I'm kind of curious about. The front page of this website - at least I think it's the front page - makes a big deal about this being a non-violent game. Great, fantastic, I wholeheartily agree and endorse this kind of thing, but here's a question: Why is the shipping of armaments within the game so lucrative? I know this was the case in the old PoC and it seems to still be the case in the newer versions from what I've gathered from reading some posts. I can understand having the concept of "war zones" in the game, but if this is supposed to be such a non-violent game, why reward the player with the lucrative armaments shipments?
I mean, frankly, the word hypocrisy immediately comes to mind.
Eh?
rdklein
PoC Veteran
Admin
PoC Veteran<br>Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocsim3dii is combined with pocxxl, pocxxl is the ecenomic part and pocsim3dii the simulation.
We kept is separate as many users have slow computers, and so pocxxl can be run alone using its build in 2d sim.
pocsim3dii cn be used to get the sim part in 3d, and we work on a closer combination so pocsim3dii can be kept open.
pocsim3dii will have some addons like stereo or slave modus for larger systems.

As told the poc 2008 deluxe is a development done for astragon haveing its own life but our main focus is on the pocsim3dii an pocxxl. With a platinum license you can take part on this development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: