Ports Of Call Forum Index Impressum / Contact // data privacy / Datenschutz

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How addicted/sad are you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argosy
PoC Visitor
Unlicensed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: How addicted/sad are you? Reply with quote

I confess I really love PoC and am now up to 1980 having played it since 1/1/75.

I keep a detailed record of what each ship earns its ports of call, costs etc, planned dry docking, future loads, bunker consumption, price of bunkers, repairs etc and an emerging distance calculator. I also use opportunity cost quite a bit to see if I can save money by not using the canals (!) using factors of average earnings to calculate the most economic route.

Indeed I think some of the stuff would be useful to incorporate into future upgrades as it makes the game more enjoyable (though slow for me as I have to record in Excel) but at least we can see which ships do well and which less so.

It is very spooky how art is imitating life in one aspect. My late father was a marine engineer, hence my interest (sadly killed at sea aged 37 in 1970) and in the game some of the ships are named after ships or companies he sailed with.

One such company was BP so yes I operate tankers in the game. One ship I named Argosy Crown after his very enjoyable time on the British Crown in 1965.

Long standing shipping enthusiasts will note sadly she was destroyed in a massive explosion at Umm Said in 1966, Aug 20th with many fatalities, almost all the officers. She was a rather unlucky ship and was involved in many minor accidents prior to that fateful day.

Amazingly the 'Argosy Crown' seems to be enjoying a similar fate. Very early on she was about to go into dry dock at Amsterdam when subject to a game changing oil pollution (costing $10m). I traded out of it by a combination of laying up and judiciously (then) always bunkering up. This meant I could slow steam and eke out the earnings together with loan borrowings just enough to keep going!

However the AC like the BC keeps getting into bother and always seems the ship that gets the lowest paid cargoes etc etc.

Strange! But the game is just ace.

Argosy Shipping is based in Cape Town and has some great stalwart ships in our 25 vessel fleet. Slightly based on the Safmarine concept I started off with some 'Tralyon' class (excellent ships) then the tankers, then the Emil Kaptain class now into Jo Gran tankers and new container vessels.

Helps keeps me sane.

Regards

Argosy Shipping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ports Of Call Forum Index -> XXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: